iPod 13-Pin Port

Discussion in 'iPod' started by intempo808, Aug 30, 2007.

1. intempo808 macrumors regular

Hey,
    I'm doing a GCSE Electronics project for my coursework in which I have decided to design and manufacture an iPod Amplifier.

When I first started the project, I decided I would design it for my second generation iPod Nano, however, over Christmas, I plan to get a 6th Generation iPod (or the one with the touch screen). However, this has made a problem arise. The Second Generation iPod Nano I have has a headphone jack on the bottom, which I was going to use as an audio input, and I have noticed a "trend" that with the full iPod's (2nd,3rd,4th and 5th Generation iPod's) that the headphone jack is located on the top, and this may also be the case for the 6th Generation iPod.

This would mean that I would have to use a dock connector as an audio input, and I know that the iPod will always try to play music though both the headphone jack and the connector.

So, this means that this problem is sort of solved, but I need to know if I can use any old dock connector, you know the one's that sync as well as play back music, or if I will have to use one that just plays back music, or if I will have to modify one.

One idea I did have was to buy a cheap iPod amplifier that just plays back music and doesn't sync music and take it to pieces and extract the dock connector...

If anyone could shed some light, it would be most welcome!

Thank You :D

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm a bit confused by all of this, but it seems like basically you're asking if the 6th gen iPod will have the same connector as the current large iPods?

Plain and simple no one knows.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so long as apple keep the dock connector (which i don't see them getting rid of personally) it'll work in the same way as the current ones do.

afaik they're all set up to carry a line-out signal. that is, there is only one kind and they all do the same things.