iPod 1G - 116 MB in "Other"?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ramparts, Oct 5, 2008.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

Hey all, I've got an iPod Touch 1G. I was doing stuff on the iPod just now (adding/removing apps and music); when I started, the info screen in iTunes showed 80-something MB in "Other" (in addition to however much in apps and music), and when I was done I had over 116 MB in Other. I'm running low on space and would like to put some music on there - what kind of data is in "Other", and how do I see what I have/get rid of it? Thanks!

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

'Other' will include contacts, mail, notes etc. as well as logs from apps that you have installed.

3. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

So I have no contacts, notes, some mail but I can't imagine any appreciable number of MB is in stored mail. And when I removed an app just now, "Other" gained yet a few more megs. Is there any way to see what's actually taking up all this space?

4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

It also includes your Safari and Google Maps cache, as well as the devices virtual memory. Once you device is full, if you try to put a few more songs on it, the other will shrink to accommodate it.

5. blackbelt534 macrumors regular

6. Dark K macrumors member

lmao, is like all the computers, when they say they 450GB, they don't have physically 450GB, they have like 405GB or something like that lol.

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That's a totally different thing. Use your brain in the future.

8. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

How much do you use Safari? Try clearing your cache. It loads websites faster by downloading and saving them, but if you clear the cache regularly you can save some room.

9. sharp65 macrumors 6502

It also contains application data. I have 45+ apps installed and everytime I install an app the "other" section grows.

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If you have iTunes 8 there is now a green part on the bar that represents Apps, it is no longer part of the "other" section.