Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackryan57

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I have done a jailbreak with no problems many times on my iPhone 3g. Today I decided to jb my daughters touch. First I updated the firmware to 2.2.1 then started re steps to JB it. When I did the "shift restore" and then browsed to the 2.2.1 firmware I had downloaded - I got an error half way through it. It said the iPod could not be restored and gave an error code of 5 -

I then had to restore and re-sync to get it back to where I started. This happened twice and I am unable to JB it.

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

intelplatoon

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2009
i am having the exact same problem on my iphone 3G .......mine says

the iphone "iphone" could not be restored. an unknown error occured (21).

Any ideas?? sounds like we have a similar problem.......thanks anyone who answers

jackryan57

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I have done a jailbreak with no problems many times on my iPhone 3g. Today I decided to jb my daughters touch. First I updated the firmware to 2.2.1 then started re steps to JB it. When I did the "shift restore" and then browsed to the 2.2.1 firmware I had downloaded - I got an error half way through it. It said the iPod could not be restored and gave an error code of 5 -

I then had to restore and re-sync to get it back to where I started. This happened twice and I am unable to JB it.

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

DUH!! I just figured out it is a 1G not a 2G touch....gotta go D/L the 1G firmware now.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Keep trying. You'll need to put it in DFU mode every time for this to work. It's tough, I've had my iPhone error and I would near cry but kept trying, and trying and finally it worked. Switch USB ports, switch from PC -> OSx or vice versa.

Bottom line, you're not screwed just keep at 'er.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.