iPod 2010 quality impressions?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by belltree, Nov 8, 2010.

1. belltree macrumors 6502

Now that the new iPod touch has been out for a couple of months I'm curious to hear what the general consensus is. I recall reading after the initial release that there were issues with the light bleeding out of the edges and a few other quality problems. Have these issues been resolved or are people still seeing this with recently purchased ones?

2. eddy2099 macrumors member

I got my iPod Touch 4 about a month ago and so far it has not suffered from the light leak issue and I believe it is working as it should.

I guess the only thing is it comes with a stainless steel back which is prone to scratches and the front which loves to attract finger prints. So technically you would need at least a case and a screen protector in order to ensure that it remains nice.

The camera is a 0.7mp fixed focus camera and while the pictures looks good when there is sufficient lighting, it is great as a HD video camera.

The battery is definitely a mark improvement from the previous models. However, transferring pictures to the iPod Touch 4 is still a little weird. You must sync folders of pictures from iTunes and you cannot delete them manually on the iPod Touch itself. While you can drag and drop songs and videos to it.

Overall, it is a nice product.

3. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Horrible quality control. I had to replace mine 6 times before I got one that I thought was acceptable.
    6/7 had light leaks
    2/7 had bad screens
    2/7 had dead pixels
    5/7 had "clicking"
    1/7 had problems with overheating (bad overheating with little memory use)

My current has some small dot sized light leaks on the right side and a slight discoloration in the top left corner which is caused by a light leak below the glass and above the screen.

4. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

Purchased mine on the day of release and it's absolutely perfect. I haven't had any issues or seen any light leaks like other people claim. I guess I got pretty lucky.

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

This thread is new and different.

... oh wait. >.<

OP asked about recent purchases, not about how much or little people insist on nitpicking their devices to death.

6. Kantosam macrumors member

Day 4: No issues as I've been reading here since its release. But, Holy finger-print swirls, that screen is a smudge magnet! Applied front and back Ghost Armor last night.. OMFG this stuff is amazing! The back chrome is perfect and remains well-protected. That baby's factory spec brilliance and gloss is hermetically sealed. Side benefit: You can't really tell it's there and it's not nearly as "smudgy" as the exposed screen.

Ghost Armor!! Awesome!!

7. Ashen, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011

Ashen macrumors newbie

8. tablo13, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

I have gotten 2 replacements because of light leak but it was actually because of some scratches in the chrome :D
    2/3 had light leak, with the first originally bought one when it first came out in a nearest Apple Retail Store having the smallest light leak, about 1mm. The replacements have light leak as big as the default lockscreen clock.
    2/3 had "clicking" in the recorded mic sound
    1/3 didn't have a flush screen, squeaks when I press the screen with a pretty tight rubber case on, don't know if other ones didn't have a flush screen too
    So, the first one I bought actually had the least problems! :confused:

The screen really attracts smudges. Have to wash them with water every few days, especially when my friends see my iPod touch. The chrome back attracts smudges and dust, so it gets scratched up really easily.

9. Biker macrumors regular

10. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

Suppose my only issues are the scratch prone back and it can get pretty warm. Not too much when gaming but it's nearly untouchable (no pun please) after a long FaceTime call.

11. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Mine was perfect the first time i received it. I got mine the day it was available.

12. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Bought mine at the Apple Store and it's perfect. No issues with anything. I have the 64gb model.

13. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Mine's a little over two months old, and I still love it. No problems, and a great step up from the previous model :)

14. belltree thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone experiencing much in the way of heat issues?

15. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

Mine can get bloody warm from only about 10 minutes of playing games, although the worst part is the scratchy aluminium back.
    Besides those two issues it's been perfect.