Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ste_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
I have my old 2nd gen iPod that I'd like to get working again. First problem is a dead battery, which looks easy enough to replace.

There is also, however, a split in the headphone jack. Before I buy the battery only to discover the headphone jack is borked, is there a way to test the headphone jack whilst the iPod is powered from my Snow G3 iBook? If I eject the iPod whilst plugged in via firewire, I get the tick with safe to disconnect- this doesn't only me to play the iPod.
I don't have the original charger, only the firewire cable.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Hi, I have noticed that myself on my iPod, I have the 15GB with touch buttons. When I plug it into my G4 and want to charge it, it stays on that tick once ejected. I'll get on here and experiment with it to see if I can't find a way to keep it powered off the Mac whilst using it.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
You might want to try disabling disk use on the iPod in iTunes. To do this you'll need to turn off 'Manually manage songs and playlists' setting. If you have a manually curated library on the iPod there is a chance this will wipe it though, I cannot guarantee as this is personal iPod and I don't want to risk losing my curated library. If I can get my other iPod that uses this procedure/menu to start up properly I will test it on that.

Ste_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
Thanks @retta283 I've tried that and various combinations in iTunes with no luck. Also tried with iPod plugged into the iBook with it's lid closed and charger plugged in with no success either.

I guess you can't play an iPod whilst it's plugged into a computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.