Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kruuth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
I've had my ipod since 2008, and it's been running fine. Lately when I'm jogging it will cut off at random, like the battery is dead. I've changed the battery but it's still doing this. If it sits on my desk it'll play forever. Did I jostle something loose or something? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

rudedude

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
iPod Classics all use hard drives to store data. Because it only cuts off while in motion, from jostling around while you jog, I think that the drive is failing from age and use. While you could simply replace the drive with one that is new, it is probably easier and more cost effective to replace the iPod itself. If I can remember correctly the iPod Classic was discontinued because the mini drives used within it are no longer made by Toshiba.

kruuth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
I see. I really like the click wheel for running though. What about one of those adapters that converts cf or sd? Is there one?

iPod Classics all use hard drives to store data. Because it only cuts off while in motion, from jostling around while you jog, I think that the drive is failing from age and use. While you could simply replace the drive with one that is new, it is probably easier and more cost effective to replace the iPod itself. If I can remember correctly the iPod Classic was discontinued because the mini drives used within it are no longer made by Toshiba.

rudedude

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Even with an adaptor, if the drive fails inside the device then the music will still cease playing. The adaptor with music stored on flash memory would simply load from the flash memory onto the drive to then be played, similar to an external thumb-drive for USB. It could be something different than the drive but because you replaced the battery thats what I'm guessing it is. I suggest booting the iPod into diagnostics mode and then testing to make sure everything is alright with the hardware. It's fairly easy to find older working iPods on eBay and Craigslist for not a lot of money. If you really love the click wheel then I'd consider replacing your iPod with a comparable used model in good shape.

kruuth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
Even with an adaptor, if the drive fails inside the device then the music will still cease playing. The adaptor with music stored on flash memory would simply load from the flash memory onto the drive to then be played, similar to an external thumb-drive for USB. It could be something different than the drive but because you replaced the battery thats what I'm guessing it is. I suggest booting the iPod into diagnostics mode and then testing to make sure everything is alright with the hardware. It's fairly easy to find older working iPods on eBay and Craigslist for not a lot of money. If you really love the click wheel then I'd consider replacing your iPod with a comparable used model in good shape.

How do I get into diagnostics?

When I say replace I mean going into the unit and replacing the microdrive with a cf adapter, thus taking the drive out of the equation.

rudedude

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Do a hard restart on your iPod then while the Apple logo is on the screen hold down the center and rewind buttons together.

I didn't realize you meant bypass it altogether. It's worth a shot trying to replace it, I don't know what will happen with a different drive inside. If you do try then tell me how it turns out.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Which generation is it? I'd say just update to a flash-based drive. I personally prefer the dual-SDXC rig I run in my 7.5G iPod Classic(1TB) with the extended 2,000mAh battery.

kruuth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
It's an iPod video or 5 or whatever that is. I'm looking at converting it to rockbox and if that doesn't work I'll change the drive. If it sits on my desk it'll last for hours. If I jog it seems to die at random.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
It's an iPod video or 5 or whatever that is. I'm looking at converting it to rockbox and if that doesn't work I'll change the drive. If it sits on my desk it'll last for hours. If I jog it seems to die at random.
If you need someone to do the labor, PM me.

kruuth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
OK well that is interesting. I got this "can't load linux.bin" error while out jogging this morning so it is looking more and more like it's the drive that's acting up. Does anyone actually sell the adapter in the US that's not exorbitant? I see them on EBAY for like $2 but the shipping time.....

kruuth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
Ok well the adapter is on the way. I guess I'll know soon enough if that was it.

kruuth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
Ok well the adapter got here. I think I plugged it in right. The card's face is pointing up so that if the ipiod is face down, I can see the brand and logo on it. However, I get this frowny ipod logo and a link to ipod support. Do I need to do something else?

kruuth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2016
Ok well it looks like the main board's zif socket went south. Any recommendations on where I can go to get a new board installed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.