iPod ipod 3g issues

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I've got a 10 GB 3g ipod and I'm having some issues with it. When I turn it on, I get the dead battery icon. When I try to charge it through the plug, all I see is the apple icon. When I connect it via firewire to my mac, all I get is the apple icon. It never appears in my mac, either. Any ideas?

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
I've got a 10 GB 3g ipod and I'm having some issues with it. When I turn it on, I get the dead battery icon. When I try to charge it through the plug, all I see is the apple icon. When I connect it via firewire to my mac, all I get is the apple icon. It never appears in my mac, either. Any ideas?
Are you still on the original battery? It may finally have given up the ghost. They are inexpensive and pretty easy to replace. I purchased a replacement off of eBay that came with the tools to open my iPod. I think it was $12.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I've had some issues before which required me to use target disk mode, etc, to get Disk Utility to see the iPod, so that it can repair / reformat it. Then you can restore it. If the battery is still able to hold charge, that might be worth trying.

masterjedi73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I just tried that, but upon restarting my mac all I saw was a big yellow icon moving across my screen for several minutes. Should I let it go longer?