iPod 3G question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by capoditutti, Jul 10, 2007.

1. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

What is the procedure for installing a new hard drive in a 3G ipod? I've got the replacement drive and put it in already, but i'm still getting the dreaded Folder with exclamation mark... Any help?

*iPod will not show in itunes, either on a windows machine via usb or on a mac via firewire

cApO

2. Rasheem macrumors regular

well i cant help you with much. but i do know that you will have to use firewire. USB will not work.

3. capoditutti thread starter macrumors 6502

capoditutti

why doesnt it work with USB? i was just trying to get either version of itunes to install something onto the disc so i can then get to work on sorting it all out in iTunes on OSX, but i cant get it to do anything.. In XP it actually does more than in OSX - in XP it shows as a malfunctioning USB device, but nothing shows in OSX..

4. capoditutti thread starter macrumors 6502

capoditutti

I spoke to someone at Apple UK about my problem and they said it's likely there is some sort of fault with the logic board - how can i tell if the HDD is still working ok, because now i've got 2 40gb HDDs for a 3rd gen iPod and nothing to use them with!

Because the logic board is likely to have a fault, it may be why the HDD test in iPod diagnostic mode doesnt complete, and all the other tests do?

Any ideas?