iPod 3rd Generation Disk Mode

Discussion in 'iPod' started by greenday123, Nov 28, 2007.

1. greenday123 macrumors 6502

How do i get a 3rd gen ipod in disk mode? I know how to reset it, but i cant seem to get it into disk mode. Help please?

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You are supposed to do it through iTunes. Click on the iPod when you have it plugged in, and then check "Enable Disk Mode." After this, you should see it show up in Finder.

3. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I meant, from the ipod, like reset it and then go into disk mode. Like what button combination?

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'm confused. What are you trying to do with it once you have it in disk mode?

5. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm trying to get it to be reconized by my computer. It wont come up on it right now.

6. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

If you have an older iPod model without a Click Wheel

Before placing the iPod into disk mode you should verify that it has a charge.
    Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons until the Apple/iPod logo appears, then release them. This resets iPod. When you reset iPod all your music and data files are saved, but some customized settings may be lost.
    When the Apple logo appears, immediately press and hold the Previous and Next buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
    Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will change and say "Do not disconnect"
    To return it to its normal operating state, you will have to reset iPod.

just copy paste from the support page at apple.com http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93651

7. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks that worked! Now how about diagnostics? Whats the button combination to get into the diagnostics?

8. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

There is a search box at the link I provided. I showed you what resource to use, so you can learn how to find the answer yourself next time. :)

9. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes i know that, thanks for that. But apple does not give instructions on how to get into the diagnostics. At least i dont think so. They act like its not even there.

10. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nevermind i got it. You hold down FW and RW and Center.