Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeeDee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I got a 40GB iPod this christmas. But I've hardly used it because it feels like it will get scratched or something.

Now when the iPod Shuffle exists, I'm considering trying to sell my iPod and buying a Shuffle instead.

What do you say, should I do that?

(right now I've got my whole music library on the iPod, but since I've ordered an iBook with an 80GB HD I can keep my library on it instead, since I'll bring it almost everywhere i go)

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
BeeDee said:
I got a 40GB iPod this christmas. But I've hardly used it because it feels like it will get scratched or something.

Now when the iPod Shuffle exists, I'm considering trying to sell my iPod and buying a Shuffle instead.

What do you say, should I do that?

(right now I've got my whole music library on the iPod, but since I've ordered an iBook with an 80GB HD I can keep my library on it instead, since I'll bring it almost everywhere i go)

it all depends on your listening habits. i have a 40gb as well, but just ordered a 1gb shuffle, as it's perfect for working out/running. sure, you can keep your music on your ibook, but it's not useful when listening on the train or walking down the street or in the car. but, if you never use your ipod, then sell it. if your only concern is scratching it, there are a lot of skins/protectors out there.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I agree that room exists for both. I've got a 40GB 4G and a 512MB Shuffle (because they had no 1GB ones in stock yet).

The 4G iPod is great for longer trips, for audiobooks (the Shuffle plays them, but the regular iPod's display is helpful), for having anything you'd ever want to listen to at your fingertips, for quick uploads, etc.

The Shuffle is great for activities, quick trips, carrying around constantly, etc. Even a 512MB holds 8+ hours of music.

It's sort of like comparing a car/minivan to a motorcycle. Both have their uses and their limitations.

BeeDee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
For longer trips you say...

I was thinking, since I almost always will bring my iBook, I could change the music on it when I've listened through the playlist once or twice...

Concernings audiobooks, I think they're to expensive. So usually I go to the library and borrow paper books.

Then I was wondering one thing... If I keep my music library on the iPod 40GB, can I move them to the Shuffle then without having to move them to the computer in between?

I don't know, I like my iPod 40GB. But if I don't really need it there is a lot money to save.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
BeeDee said:
For longer trips you say...

I was thinking, since I almost always will bring my iBook, I could change the music on it when I've listened through the playlist once or twice...

Concernings audiobooks, I think they're to expensive. So usually I go to the library and borrow paper books.

Then I was wondering one thing... If I keep my music library on the iPod 40GB, can I move them to the Shuffle then without having to move them to the computer in between?

I don't know, I like my iPod 40GB. But if I don't really need it there is a lot money to save.
FWIW, libraries often have audiobooks, and there are sources of free ones on the web; to me, the $15/month Audible.com subscription I use is fantastic, but I listen to audiobooks virtually every time I commute, so it is worth it to me to help pass the time.

Also, there's no way to "charge" your Shuffle with a disk-based iPod. That's not to say someone won't come out with a way, but it currently isn't possible.

Honestly, if money is an issue, either Shuffle will be pretty useful to you, and you'll save a few hundred bucks. There are a lot of nice features in the disk-based ones, but the Shuffles are perfectly useful.

young2by2

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2005
Tampa, FL
I would totally say it depedns on what you want to use it for. I use my 40 gig for work and travel.

But theiPod shuffle would be great for the gym or any type exersize program at it is small lite and will not skip.

Trey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.