iPod 4th gen dead

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jedd95, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Jedd95 macrumors newbie

Hello. I got a iPhone 5 on contract back in January. Upon receiving it my little iPod 4th generation was neglected and now it won't turn on, charge or show any signs of life.

I cracked the screen about 3 months prior to getting my phone so I don't think it's the cracked screen that is the problem - however I am looking to replace the screen anyway as I want to give it to my girlfriend.

All I am is wondering is, what the problem may be? I assumed if it was the battery, I would at least see a sign of it trying to charge up when plugged in, although I don't really know!

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. .Asa macrumors regular

Leave it plugged in for at least 20 minutes. The battery might take a long time to charge after sitting around for a few months.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Might be a problem with the iPod, the charger, or the charger cable. As .Asa noted, be sure to give your charging attempt enough time. Next thing I'd try is alternate cables/chargers, connect to computer instead of charger (or vice versa). Rule those out as a possible cause (again, give each attempt a bit of time to charge). If it still does not respond in any way, the next thing I'd try is a Reset (connect to charger, hold sleep/wake button and home button down until the silver Apple logo appears, then release buttons)….

Rather than recreate a perfectly good resource, I refer you to: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2771 Specifically, "Battery does not appear to charge" and "Will not power on, or will not turn on unless connected to power."