Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjfung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
hey guys, i tried searching, couldn't find the answer.

Just got a 30g 5g and tried to upload photos onto the ipod. I set the folder "iPhoto Library" for the ipod to sync. According to iPhoto I have 2173mb of photos in the library, but when I getinfo the folder, it says I have over 8 gigs.

When I looked at the photos on the ipod, I have doubles, and sometimes triples of one photo. Whats the deal? Why does iphoto folder have around 4 times more information than what is showing in iphoto itself? And how do I fix it on the computer and ipod? 6 gigs is a usuable amount of space!

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
This is at least partially related to the way iPhoto organizes and handles photos. There are actually many threads of people complaining about just this thing.

Your photo library will not only have the original photo, but basically copies of the photo for whenever you make a change. So there will be a file for the original, and a completely separate file if you make any change--even as simple as just rotating the photo. It was Apple's way of allowing you to "revert to original" so that you can make changes/edit photos without worrying that you will lose your original. That is, it was their way of doing it before Aperture. Hopefully iPhoto 6 will incorporate the "versioning" that Aperture uses.

mcmav37

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Well, one option would be to sync w/ iPhoto, not w/ the iPhoto Library folder. That way, only your final photos will be sync'd, not the "originals" as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.