Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaggyLR

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Montreal
I've recently encountered a major problem with my iPod 5G. I tried re-loading all of my library onto it and at around 1700 songs, the transfer froze and the hard drive just kept buzzing. I restarted, tried again. Same thing happened. Always around 1700-1800 songs, but never the exact same one. I figured there was a problem with the hard drive, and when ever it got to that point to write on, it crapped itself. So I sent it off to Apple and I discribed what happened. They this week sent it back to me saying there's nothing wrong with it. But the problem is still there.

Next week I'll be in Chicago and I'll bring it by the Apple store and have the problem happen in front of them so they can see there really is an issue. However, as I'm from Canada, they'll probably tell me to come home and send it off to Apple Canada again.

My point is, has anyone else had this problem with their iPod?

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
does your computer hard drive have enough memory? you might have set the iTunes to make another copy of the songs being imported/added in your library in the hard drive and by doing so, ate up your remaining memory.

ShaggyLR

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Montreal
My iTunes library is on an external FireWire hard drive, which currently has about 117gb of space. My computer's hard drive currently has about 8gb of space.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
ShaggyLR said:
My iTunes library is on an external FireWire hard drive, which currently has about 117gb of space. My computer's hard drive currently has about 8gb of space.

Is your computer's hard drive caching the upload in a temp file and running out of space half way through? Check your computer disk free space immediately after the download craps out and check.

ShaggyLR

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Montreal
Thanks for the suggestion. That doesn't seem to be the problem. i've tried doing the transfer of songs in small sections, restarting my computer and iPod after each chunk. the problem seems to occur around 16.5gbs of information. Once the iPod gets to that capacity and hits that BUZZ, even if I hook it up to another computer and try to re-name or delete a song, it just freezes and buzzes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.