ipod 5G question on earpods connection

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by macman70, Oct 17, 2012.

1. macman70, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

macman70 macrumors newbie

macman70

Hi Guys

I have to ask this and would like responses from all ipod 5G owners. I have purchased the 32GB Blue ipod touch 5G and it is superb. Now I think this is a non issue but I have to ask, just in case I need to return this to be looked at.

Question:

I connect my earpods to ipod touch, and if i do not have music playing and turn the plug in connection of the where earpods plug into ipod touch, then I hear crackly noise. To challenge this I then played my music and if i turn the connection (plug in) I cannot hear crackling noise, that was a relief!......However, if anyone could see if this occurs for you, because if there is an issue I would go back with my ipod touch to apple store.

I do have the earpods plugged in all the way into input on iPod touch 5G. Also, I have not tested this with a different set of headphones over the Apple Earpods.

2. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

So far, I haven't experienced any issues with my earbuds in regards to crackling. I even tried turning the connection as you suggested and nada. If you continue to experience this issue, I'd definitely contact the Apple store and inform them of this issue.

J

3. macman70 thread starter macrumors newbie

macman70

OK thanks so much for mocking this up. I will get a Genius Bar appointment and I am hoping not an issue on my unit..? wifi is off btw as i test it so not an issue there
    I will test the earpods in my 3rd Gen ipod touch and also try the older earpods in my 5th gen ipod touch just to see.

4. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Sounds like it's the earbuds and not the system. I'm guessing, the Apple store will simply replace them for working ones. Glad everything else is working on your ipod :)

J

5. macman70 thread starter macrumors newbie

macman70

Yes, I will test at lunch time and then go back tonight if that is the case, I guess I need Genius bar appointment , even just to switch the ear pods? Actually worth that appointment as they may decide to switch it out the ipod.

I will test at lunch and let you guys know the outcome,

thanks very much!

6. macman70 thread starter macrumors newbie

macman70

Hi Guys

I figured it out I switched out different earbuds and headphones. Turned out after unplugging the brand new ear pods and touching the metal tip all issues went away. I can only think it was a static build up. After receiving the new iPod touch, I simply plugged new ear pods in. I feel there was maybe some static on them.

Now if i plug these new ear pods into iPod touch 5G or 3rd gen no issues. And if i plug in Headphones into iPod 5G no issues as I turn the input of headphones into iPod.

So, just watch out for that as you get your new iPods with ear pods, there may be a static build up on that connector tip, touching the metal resolved the issue.

7. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Good! Glad you were able to fix the issue without having to go to back to the store.

J

8. MJNBGA macrumors regular

You may even get ones with the microphone and buttons! And the nifty carrying case! :cool:

EDIT: Glad to hear everything worked out.