iPod 5th gen or iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by k1lljoy, Sep 17, 2012.

1. k1lljoy macrumors member

Up until this point I've had an iPod 4th gen. I'm torn between upgrading to the new iPod or getting an iPad instead for christmas. An iPad 3 is probably gonna be too much money, so it's probably gonna come down to the new iPod or an iPad 2.

I do a lot of gaming on it, so the A5 is a turn off, but I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't stick the thing in my pocket, for everything else, camera, music, etc. I would still have this iPod 4 (2 years old) if I got an iPad, though...

Just not sure what's the better option, the new iPod touch (portability) or a now outdated iPad (immersive high powered gaming.)

2. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

well if you allready have an ipod touch, get the ipad 2, but if i were you, ill get the nexus 7 if money is short, it has quad core very nice graphics nice size and the ipad 2 its just going to be a huge ipod on my opinion the android tablet will be better for games and browsing and flash player and i am an apple fan boy, i have a macbook pro and ipod touch 4 before you call me android fan boy ;p

3. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

The nexus 7 is a horrible size ( I really do not like 7 inch tablets )

+ it runs android, and in 4.1 adobe has officially dropped flash support.

I'd suggest the iPad, then you have your iPod touch 4g, and the iPad 2.

4. k1lljoy thread starter macrumors member

Not doing android. It's apple or nothing for me when it comes to tablets, phones etc. no android.

To the iPad being just a big iPod -- I agree. Always thought that, always prefered the iPhone/iPod touch line over iPads.. I have a huge preference for portability over big screens. The new iPod is a lot more appealing to me but that A5 is a bitch... Hell of a lot better then what I've got but still... Then again, gaming isn't the only thing to consider.

I also don't know if I want to buy an iPad 2 and have yet another outdated device, especially when the iPad 4 isnt really that far awag.. Maybe get the cheaper choice, iPod, and eventually get iPad 3 when I have the money myself and it's cheaper.. Hard choice for me, I'll give it some thought..

Loving that new iPod though. .___.

5. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Two devices means...

... two devices that will eventually become outdated and slow. Ask yourself if you'd rather have one device that is up-to-date and will run all the latest games (iPod touch 5) or two devices that are not cutting edge. Your comment regarding 'pocketability' makes me think you'd be better to get the latest iPod touch.

Most people who can afford it usually have an iPhone and something else (iPad and or iPod touch), not an iPod touch and an iPad, based on what I've seen.

6. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

why not sell you ipod and buy a new ipad 3? or the new ipod? and sell that after ipad 4 is out? ;p

7. JohnnyAndre macrumors regular

Definitely iPod Touch 5G. The iPad 2 has a terrible screen and will be outdated and slow very soon. The Touch really is the best of both worlds. (A5 + 5 inch screen = perfect.)

8. XxpikachuxX macrumors 6502

god damn it i miss the keynote on the 5 inch ipod ;p

9. k1lljoy thread starter macrumors member

Good points, I think I'll do the iPod touch... Hadnt really thought about how outdated iPad 2 is but now that I think about it, I really don't want one lol.

Selling my iPod for an iPad 3 would be pointless -- $100 or so doesn't help much towards a $700 iPad.

Thanks for the input

----------

Although.... What if I got an iPad for Christmas, and managed $300 afterwards, selling this iPod, to buy an iPod 5g myself. .__.

It never ends

10. JohnnyAndre macrumors regular

Ideally, the iPad 3 is the perfect counterpart to the iPod 5.

11. WLS macrumors 65816

ya think? That's what I'm starting to think too. I need the pocketability of the Touch and I'd prefer to use my iPad3 at home or in a hotel room when away.
    The feature set of the new Touch is hard to beat and it has SIRI! An iPad mini is still going to have to have an external case and sit on something in a distracting way. The cameras are both 5MP and the icing on the cake would be if I could send pictures from the Touch to the iPad by WIFI or BT for editing and display.

12. Allegrotechie macrumors member

Allegrotechie

Eh, I'd get the iPad just because if gaming is superior then its best for that. But if your out and about then iPod Touch 5

13. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

If you already have a laptop or computer, skip the iPad and get the 5. I rarely use my iPad now, there's really no point

14. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

I think I would go with iPod Touch 5th Gen and start saving for iPad 4 in March next year. The iPad 2 will be soon end of live and on its descent into reuse with family and friends.
    The iPod touch looks like an awesome gaming machine. And gets your Siri; also a kind of game :rolleyes:

15. k1lljoy thread starter macrumors member

First off I will never have the money to get an iPad 4 on release so that's out of the question. Only chance of an iPad is Christmas, but still only the iPad 2. I think because of the outdated factor of the iPad, I'm gonna go with the iPod.

As much gaming as I do, I use the other stuff even more so I don't want a device only for gaming. I have a ps3 for that...

Thanks again, the input helped. Even if I haven't decided yet. .____.

16. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Plus you bought all your apps from APPLE not google

17. k1lljoy thread starter macrumors member

GOD DAMN RIGHT. over $300 in apps. I ain't getting a google device

18. muyaad macrumors member

It'll be a good idea to get a new iPod touch and by the time u have money for iPad 3 ur iPod wouldn't be updated then, ur iDevices will still be working machines

19. JohnnyAndre macrumors regular

All of your photos are available on any iOS device/Web Browser with photo stream. No need for BT/wifi sharing.

20. Slinkwyde macrumors regular

The iPod touch 5 has a 4.0" screen, not a 5" screen. Previous models had 3.5" screens.

21. k1lljoy thread starter macrumors member

The iPod screen is smaller then the iPhone?

iPod 5g and iPhone 5 that is.

22. k1lljoy thread starter macrumors member