Ipod 5th Gen Video won't charge/hold charge

Discussion in 'iPod' started by beedoola, Jul 12, 2015.

1. beedoola macrumors member

Long story short: bought a replacement battery online cause the original battery wasn't holding charge. Stupid ebay seller sent me a 7th gen battery. I complained, they sent another replacement - still a 7th gen. Complained again and they just refunded me the money.

So I have 2 7th gen ipod batteries. The wire lead is a little shorter than the 5th gen but I made it work and when I plug the charger in, it takes a minute but the ipod shows/indicates that it is charging but after charging for sometime and removing the charger, the battery level indicator does not seem to change.

Is this a battery issue or has my ipod bit the dust and just won't charge a battery anymore?

My HOLD ribbon cable is also broke so I can't (or don't think I can) do a reset.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Make sure the battery cable is all the way inside the connector. Also try going into diagnostics and do some tests in there.

3. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

Is the fact that the battery is for a 7th Gen make any difference? The battery is in as far as I can tell. How do I go into diagnostics?

BTW, my HOLD switch does not work.

Now the ipod won't power without being connected to a power source.

4. ipod restorer, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  5. iTurbo macrumors member

I also need a new battery for my 5th gen Video iPod. I just got off the phone with OWC sales department and they quoted me $59.95 for them to do it.

6. noodles5666 macrumors regular

If you move to a Tarkan SDXC adapter, you can get a 2,000 mAh extended battery. This is two-fold. Better battery using SDXC and and extended battery.

7. trac3rbull3t macrumors newbie

trac3rbull3t

Sounds like you need a power flex and a charge block if its not the battery... Try to get somebody to run a diagnostic on it first mate.