Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Hi,

For ages now my 6th gen ipod has driven me up the wall in the way it sorts music. I like to browse by artist, but with a lot of albums now you get the artist feat another artist on certain tracks, and my iPod separates these out as different albums (when searching via artist) so if I clicked to play one selection (such as those listed as just the artist) it doesn't play the others that are featuring someone else. Obviously I can get around this by searching via album instead of artist, but tbh half the time I can't remember the names of the albums.

Is there a way to get the iPod to show all the tracks from one album together when searching via artists? I know that I can go and change the artist info in my iTunes album so that it just shows the artist and not the collaborators but ideally I don't want to do this as I like to have a record of whose on what track. Plus, it doesn't separate out like this on my iPhone or on my Mac.

Any help appreciated.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I understand your frustration. I edit all my tracks so the primary artist goes in the artist box and the feat person goes in brackets after the title. Example below. I wish they would just add a second field for featured artist. It would be so much tidier!

image.png

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I understand your frustration. I edit all my tracks so the primary artist goes in the artist box and the feat person goes in brackets after the title. Example below. I wish they would just add a second field for featured artist. It would be so much tidier!

View attachment 580457
Thanks, what a PITA that must be to edit all the tracks like that. I have hundreds of collaborations, for example Dr Dre features someone else on just about every track. Chase and Status are the same, plus many more.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Does not having the main artist in the "Album Artist", and then the collaboration info in "Artist" not work? That's how I have things setup on my iTunes... Not sure how it works on the older iPods, but this works on iOS fine.

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 4.04.11 PM.png

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
"Various Artists" as the artist album and then the featured artist as the "Artist"?

No, they don't show Compilations in the main list anymore. :(
Defiantly :(

I honestly don't mind manually sorting my music it's something I actually enjoy. The advantage of sorting my music this way is I can search for an artist and it includes all the featured tracks in compilations. The disadvantage is when you want to search for a featured artist.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Does not having the main artist in the "Album Artist", and then the collaboration info in "Artist" not work? That's how I have things setup on my iTunes... Not sure how it works on the older iPods, but this works on iOS fine.

View attachment 580549
No, it still separates them I'm afraid. Gav2k's suggestion seems to be the best so far tbh. I have sooooo many albums to change though if I want to do that :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.