iPod 6 or iPad Mini 4?...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kal-037, May 14, 2016.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Yes one of those threads where a random internet person asks a bunch of strangers for advice about buying stuff. *sorry for this, lol... but I honestly could use some advice/help.

So I currently have the iPod Touch 6g as I wanted a smaller iOS device to grab when jotting down some notes (as my iPP isn't always with me or as convenient to grab.) Problem with the iPod is the battery, it's not terrible but it's annoying that it dies so fast and there are animation glitches/freezing when typing.

If you had $500 in Apple Store gift cards, would you stick with the iPod Touch or go for the 64GB iPad Mini 4?
    I usually LOVE the iPod touch for it size and for what it is, but this particular model (or at-least the ones I've played with at the store and the one I own) seem to have some of the same issues that the last generation had (slightly better but still not ideal,) again it has some battery issues, software glitches, and animation freezing, plus sometimes it randomly won't charge. So NOW, I'm starting to wonder if the iPad Mini 4 might be a better option. Thoughts/suggestions?
    Thanks for any help, and sorry for this same old usual thread.

Kallum.

2. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I have never owned an iPod, but my iPad Mini 4 is my all in all. The iPod has always seemed too small for my use. I use the iPad Mini 4 to take handwritten notes and it is with me 24/7. With heavy use, my battery lasts for 3 days. The battery usually doesn't even enter into my thought process.

3. maclancer macrumors regular

Agreed, I do not have the mini 4 but the mini 3 and is 1000 better than an iPod. You can pretty much do anything on it.

4. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I also say iPad mini 100%. It really is still small enough to take with you everywhere and even fits in some pockets. And it supports split screen so you could, for example, jot down notes on a web site or book without having to switch back and forth between the two. It's also still narrow enough that you can thumb type in portrait mode like you do on an iPhone/iPod.

Also, keep in mind that the iPod is being slowly depreciated by Apple. They are only releasing new hardware every 2-3 years and don't even report iPod as a separate categories in their revenue. Because of this, they iPod probably won't get much in the way of new software features going forward. The same is not true of the iPad line.

Try the mini 4. I think it will be a great fit for your uses, especially if you already have a $500 gift card lying around!

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

The mini has always been my preference. It's battery life is superior, it allows for more screen real estate, it is still portable, and best of all is that it runs iPad apps! The downside to it compared to the iPod, is that the iPod is much more portable. Unless you are already carrying a bag around, or have large pockets, the iPad Mini would be a little more uncomfortable to carry around compared the iPod.

The choice is yours, but I fell in love with the iPad mini line, and that's what I would get again and again. I used it much more than the iPad Pro I had and the air 2; and I've never gone back to the iPod line since I got my iPad. But it all depends on your uses and experiences. Take advantage of the return policy if you need to try something out in your daily life to test it.

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Not sure why you went with an iPod Touch to jot down notes? It's keyboard is pretty small on that screen. A bit pointless talking about battery life differences as of course the iPad will be much much better. For notes taking I would say the iPad Mini would be much better because of the screen size and therefore keyboard size.
    Have to say in my experience my iPod Touch 6th gen has been fine, charges every time, no software glitches or freezing at all. Battery life is odd, it lasts pretty long playing videos, several hours and Apple quotes 8 hours for video. But when you play the odd game, browse the web, play You Tube videos it soon runs out. Still it's a cool little gadget.

7. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    I loved my old iPod 5G but I gave it to my brother last summer, it was great when I had to jot down an idea but didn't want to go grab my iPad or Macbook. I hoped the 6G would be better, but it wasn't... So I took it back today and got an iPad Mini 4. (I had an iPad Mini 4 back in October) but had issues with 2 of them because each of their home buttons were loose and wobbly and made cracking noise before the actual click sound. I really, really hope that was just a bad batch and the one I got today will not have the same problem. *knock on wood.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone, I very much appreciate you taking a few minutes to help me out. :)
    Cheers, :)

Kallum.

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It seems like a bit of an apples to oranges comparison to me. You can do more with a tablet than you can with an iPod. The only advantage the iPod has is being able to fit in your pocket.

9. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Why bother with an iPod touch when you have an iPhone. Go with the mini.

10. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

11. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I had the same thought. Then I realized @Kal-037 has an iPhone 6S Plus. That would explain why he finds the iPod touch more portable.

This is why I still stick with the iPhone 6S as my main device... the Plus is just too much of a compromise for me in terms of portability for a small increase in screen size (a mere 37% larger area). If I want a large screen, I'll have an iPad mini at least (a more substantial 130% over the Plus, 220% over normal)...

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have both a 12.9" iPad Pro and a mini 4. Good combination.

13. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

ColdShadow

Mini 4.
    but ignore Mini 3 and 2 as I find them slow and laggy in web browsing due to insufficient RAM.

14. maclancer macrumors regular

I have the mini 3 and no issues with laggy or slowness.