iPod (6G) - Any ideas when it is launched?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TobiOrNotTobi, Jul 12, 2007.

1. TobiOrNotTobi macrumors newbie

Hey, does anyone have an idea when the new iPod generation (6G) will be launched? Are there any typical "Apple dates" in the next few months?

If have only heard that it's supposed to be an iPod with a touchscreen which would better support the video function (better picture quality, larger screen).

2. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

As with most Apple products, we have no idea when the 6G will be out. That said, I'd be surprised if the 6Gs weren't released until after September, although that's just a personal prediction.

3. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

As above product release dates are never known - only rumoured!

I would imagine either when Leopard is released in October or before Christmas in late November.

4. djearlybird macrumors regular

5. korndog2003 macrumors regular

korndog2003

6. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Eh, it's not that amazing.

7. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Reserve judgement until it is released! You never know what little treasures you may find.

8. sWaltuo macrumors regular

With the release of the iPhone only a few weeks ago .. I really don't think Apple is gonna put a product out that will rival it in some way (even through all the hype for the phone, a lot of people were talking about just using the internet and iPod functions). With that said, I think it is inevitable that Apple will release a 6G iPod somewhere in the future. I personally think we are gonna have to wait around a year for it if Apple is serious about hitting that 10 million mark by 2008 that Jobs set when he announce the iPhone.

Just my opinion, and with Apple the only opinion that REALLY matters is SJ's .. so until he comes out and says something, we will ALL just be speculating.

9. Keebler macrumors 68030

well, b/n now and Christmas. I can't see them offering one too soon so they don't cannibalize the iphone sales, but they'd be pretty idiotic to miss the Christmas season.

Alot of people want the iphone, but maybe can't afford it. it would make perfect sense for them to release a slimmed down version with a touch screen...or maybe not a phone at all. as much as i don't need an ipod bc i'm at home most of the time, a touch screen would be pretty darn tempting :)

Cheers,
    Keebler

10. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

How would a new 6G eat into iPhone sales, honestly? 8GB vs min. 30GB. If Apple released new nanos then yes, I'd agree with a nano-iPhone conflict. I just don't see someone who wants 30GB< of capacity walking into an Apple store, sees an iPhone and thinks, "Gee, I'd much rather have this paltry amount of flash storage over a high-capacity HDD." :rolleyes:

Same thing goes for the iPhone. If someone wants an Apple mobile phone, they'll buy an Apple mobile phone. The thought of, "Oh, I could have an iPod within my phone or I could have a phone and iPod for the same price of an iPhone." Wouldn't even cross their mind.

11. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

My guess: September 2007. That will the right time for another iPod "hardware refresh," and that could be the time we'll see the next-generation shuffle, 2G nanos in more colors and more storage capacity, and the new 6G video iPod. :)

12. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

it comes out when it comes out...ok ok ill be expecting it around october or november... dont want to get my hopes up though...:)

13. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

i reckon it'll come out for Christmas, so late November - early December

14. ToddW macrumors 6502a

my guess is a hughe release aroung leopard. new imacs, ipods, and the rumored ultra thin notebook. just in time for the holiday season.

15. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I'll reckon 6G iPod will be out before the decade is done aka before 2K10..

V
    V
    V

:rolleyes:

Nothing to look here ...
    Move along people..

16. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I kind of agree with you, the only reason that I don't is, look at how many forum posts and threads there are that are along the lines of "man i really want an iPhone without the phone" or "how to activiate the iPhone and just use it as an iPod?" But of course you're right, when I need to replace my current iPod, the iPhone won't be an option because I just need more space (though regardless of how many iPods I have, I will purcahse the iPhone when it's available).

17. James L macrumors 6502a

It definitely won't be before the end of the back to school special.

They are going to ride this out, to ship as many of the current iPods as they can.

It would be logical to me that they would then release an updated iPod (especially considering the current iPod will be 2 years old by then) in time for Christmas sales.

But honestly, who knows?

18. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Right after the summer Get a Mac and free iPod / Student Mac-iPod promotion ends.

19. mathwhiz90601 macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

20. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

it seems like a lot of retailers are dropping the price of the ipods though, this usually only happens before a product refresh..

hopefully the 6g will compare favorably with the archos gen 5s