ipod and audiobooks

Discussion in 'iPod' started by andiwm2003, Aug 12, 2008.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

ok, my 4G ipod (40GB) is a POS. when i listen to audiobooks it almost never remembers exactly where i stopped reading. it's always off by about 5-10 min (i guess that's the time it has in cache memory). often it's off by 1-2 hrs. my guess is it remembers where i stopped a day or two before. and sometimes it remembers nothing and starts at the beginning of the first audiobook in the play list.

on top of that if i try to navigate within an audiobook it's slow to respond to clicks (2 sec delay) and very unprecise (jumps 2 or 3 chapters) or doesen't rewind at all or very slow.

i hardly ever use my ipod because of this.

does anybody have a similar experience and is there a way to fix this?

to the people with newer ipods: are the ipod nanos with flash memory more responsive in navigating through an audiobook?

btw: these effects are not there/not noticable when i listen to music. my guess is it's related to the file size of audiobooks vs. music MP3's. however i don't like music and almost never listen to music.:eek:

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

None of my 4 iPods (old 40 gig, 2nd G Nano, 3rd G Nano, iPod Touch) have ever had this problem. I have used them all primarily to listen to audio books, usually quite large files. The only time my place in a book hasn't been "remembered" as I remember it, is when I put the sleep timer on when I'm listening in bed, and I fall asleep before the timer shuts it off. :p

I suspect you've got a faulty iPod, based on my own good experience with four of them.

3. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

o thanks. well it's four years old so i guess i have to get a new one soon then. i guess they get updated in september.

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I assume you have the latest firmware on the iPod? iTunes will tell you if it's up to date when you connect. And I assume you've tried resetting it? You can do that in iTunes, it puts it back to factory settings. If you don't have a backup of your content in iTunes, just make sure you use a 3rd-party app to back up your iPod content first.