iPod and BMW iPod/USB integration?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fernande-mac, Oct 14, 2009.

1. fernande-mac macrumors regular

Does anyone here use the iPod with the BMW iPod/USB integration (option 6FL)?

I am looking into a 2010 335i sedan without iDrive and with option 6FL (iPod/USB integration) and option 677 (Logic7 sound system with Surround Sound and Digital Sound).

Can someone please confirm that if the iPod is connected to the audio system using the Y cable from the 6FL option, then all songs from the iPod go to the AUX port through the line out pin as a low-level analog signal? Nothing will go through the USB port except for charge and sync/control information?

On the other hand, if you use the iPod USB cable (the iPod is seen as a USB hard drive), then the output is digital straight to the system for DSP and amplification?

I know that DRM songs will not play using the pure USB connection. However, will the non-protected AAC, WAV, FLAC, Apple LossLess, etc. files play as well? Or just MP3 files?

Finally if a there a place with an FAQ or manual for the 6FL option? I haven't been able to find anything. (And yes, I did ask in the BMW forums and nobody has an answer.)

Thanks!

2. fernande-mac thread starter macrumors regular

Mods. Can you please move this post to the "Digital Audio" forum?

Thanks!

3. bdavis89 macrumors regular

My buddy owns a mini-cooper (made by bmw), and he had the connections and stuff done at the dealership. He just hooks the ipod up to the same cord that you use for your computer. However, its stored in his glovebox so he has to reach over and open it and plug it in. The usb part is inside the dash somwhere, wherever they installed. Also, as far as i know, he buys a lot of music from iTunes and can play it all. Good luck! The dealership should know, they did it for my friend.