iPod and it's hard drive

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Hugh, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Are there any good trusted places out there that replace the hard drive in an iPod? I have had my iPod for 4 years now and it's mostly left on all the time. I think the hard drive is finally saying quits now. It will start to play the song then pause for a second then start back up as nothing is wrong. :(

I have thought about seeing if I can get it repaired from Apple and I have a feeling that is just cheeper for me to get a new iPod (refurb).

Thanks for your input on this matter.

Hugh

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can find the drives from a variety of places from ebay to other sellers, and www.ifixit.com has guides on how to replace the drives if i remember correctly.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I replaced the hard drive on a Mini by purchasing one from eBay, and using the excellent iFixit instructions.

I think that is definitely the way to go - assuming you can get the iPod open. iFix it also sells kits with the special tools to open the iPod. I have used them to replace batteries as well...

4. Jecko024 macrumors member

Jecko024

you may want to look into replacing it with a CompactFlash card if its old enough. Check ebay for something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SSD-flash-adapt...ryZ41994QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and then go to instructables and check just look up "ipod CF" theres a few different tutorials for different gens, so as long as you have a 5g video or before, you can do this, or from what it looks like.

Good Luck!