iPod app incorrectly tracking songs, podcasts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by OUChevelleSS, Dec 23, 2010.

1. OUChevelleSS macrumors newbie

I don't know if this is a popular issue, but I wasn't sure what to call it in order to search for it.

I have an iPhone 3G running the latest software. I noticed this start to happen before 4.2.1, but only in the version before 4.2.1.

I listen to a short, daily podcast and this is where I first noticed the problem. For example, I'd select the podcast for Thursday, but then once the narrator of the podcast identified the date, I realized it was the podcast for Friday.

Eventually I thought to watch it, and when I would select the podcast (all previously unlistened to), it would automatically track to the very end of the podcast I selected, causing the app to go to the next day's podcast in my list.

I thought this was pretty annoying, but then I noticed on longer podcasts, like TWIT, I would select the unlistened episode and it would either start at the very end and then return to the podcast home screen, OR it would start randomly through--say 42 minutes into the 2 hour podcast.

I have now discovered the same thing in regular music files.

Anyone know if this is a known issue? I could try a restore that takes forever, but I wanted to check first. Thank you.

2. OUChevelleSS thread starter macrumors newbie

3. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

YES!!!
    I just posted this on another forum and thought I'd pop over here and do a search.

"Ever since 4.2.1 some of my podcasts start in the middle the first time they are played. It's not every one and I haven't really been able to pin anything down. The example I just came across is "This Week In Google #78". It was downloaded to iTunes yesterday but synced to my iPhone4 today. Today I started to listen and it started at 55 minutes in. I went to iTunes and it started right from the beginning. I definitely didn't accidentally start this podcast as it was just synced to iTunes a little earlier. I had noticed this at least a dozen times since 4.2.1 was release and never before that version. Has anyone else noticed this behavior?"

4. OUChevelleSS thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, glad somebody is getting the same thing at least. Otherwise I haven't been able to find anything on the issue.

5. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

I have a theory that I haven't had time to test out. I think my iTunes library is corrupt in some way even though I'm not having a problem directly in iTunes. The reason I say this is the fact that this is NOT happening to everyone. Also I have done a CLEAN restore on my iPhone that has not fixed the problem. I do remember having an issue with my iP3g a long time ago that took me many days to fix and eventually was fixed my wiping out my iTunes library and starting from scratch. If anyone has a chance to try this out before me please report back on if it works.