Ipod Apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kenny1811, Oct 28, 2008.

1. kenny1811 macrumors member

Is there a way i can download applications without having an itunes account on an iPod touch 2.0 firmware? Thanks!

2. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

It depends...

It is if you're willing to jailbreak your iPod Touch. If you're not willing to do that, then no.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

At this point you can only do this on the first generation iPod Touch. The new models have no Jailbreak option (that I am aware of) yet.

[​IMG]

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

It's a bit more complex than just "Jailbreak it" and be done with it. It requires the Jailbreak process, then when that's done the only way to get the actual apps on the phone is still using secure FTP which is beyond the means of a lot of casual iPod owners. It gets complicated pretty fast.

Thank Apple for hamstringing us owners and making a great device but maintaining that absolute stranglehold on people and trying to keep that death grip on doing much of anything with it outside of their control.

It can be done, but just telling people "yes you can put apps on the phone without iTunes by Jailbreaking it" is not enough info and not a good answer.

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Boy, you sound pretty mad. Are you more mad at me, or Apple, cuz from your post I can't really tell. I don't think it was such a bad answer; the answer is "no", unless you can jailbreak, but if you have to ask that's probably not something you're ready to do. If the OP wants to learn to do that he/she can ask for more information or go read up on it at a site like this (amongst others).

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Your reply was fine. It was a general question that only required a simple answer. I expect that Kenny is more than capable to search (since he has been pointed in the right direction), or ask for further help if needed.

[​IMG]