ipod as an external?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by APPLEFAN8, Jul 7, 2007.

1. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

would I be able to use my ipod to transfer my itunes library from a windows computer to an iMac. Just wondering thanks!

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

You'll need to format it for windows to be able to transfer from the PC->Mac a vica versa. Formatting for Mac wont allow windows to access it.

3. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

its already for windows! but I want to transfer it to a MAC!

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Well then the best would be to get a programme for your mac that can copy stuff off an iPod, like Senuti, or else you should just copy your library onto the iPod Disk (not through iTunes) and then just drag it off in Mac OS X.

5. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Its formatted for windows but when I get my iMac in august I want to transfer all 700 to the new itunes library on my mac from the windows but keep the same libraries just on 2 different computers so I was wondering if I could use it as an external hard drive to transfer them from one computer to another! thanks

6. Ryan5505 macrumors regular

No Problem

When I switched from PC, I first used the ipod as an external hard drive and transfered my files. The iPod was formated for windows and it was not a problem. But at the time all I had was a 4GB mini. The process was very very slow.

I then did this which may be the best alternative, you can actually turn your windows machine on to share folders. You can then send the files wirelessly over the network to your new mac. Once you start the transfer you can leave and come back in about an hour or a period of time and it will be done.

You can keep all your files on your PC also.

Hope this helps