iPod battery doesn't last long, should I wait

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jeff323, Apr 24, 2010.

1. jeff323 macrumors member

My 16 gb iPod touch (1st gen) has a battery that runs down really quickly. Should I send it in online for $79 battery replacement (which is not really a battery replacement, they replace the whole thing don't they) then sell it later when the 4th gen iPods come out, or wait until the 4th gen comes out to send it in for $79 replacement?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sending it to Apple to have the battery replaced won't get you a new 4G iPod Touch.

3. jeff323 thread starter macrumors member

The battery replacement page says they send you a new device. I'm pretty sure they don't send 1st gen ones anymore.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery/

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if they still have batteries, you'll get it replaced... if they determine its another issue, they'll charge the $199 but don't do the 16Gb model anymore so you'll probably get a 32Gb refurb unit for the "repair fee"... at least that's what an apple rep told one of my friends who was in a similar situation...

5. jeff323 thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone participated in this program? What kind of iPod do they send back, current gen or a refurb or something else?

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

The quote you posted doesn't say anything about them replacing it with a new device. Under all other circumstances (cracked glass, broken headphone jack, broken home button, etc.), the replacement is a refurbished iPod. It's pretty safe to assume that's what you get in the battery replacement program too.

And the other posters are right, there's absolutely no chance you'd get a 4G Touch back.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It will be replaced with the same model. You think Apple is stupid?

8. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

you know the longer you wait the less money you'll get for your 1st gen.

9. jeff323 thread starter macrumors member

So they still have enough 1st gen iPod touches that they can do this?

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

If not a 1st gen then a 2nd gen. They simply won't give you a brand new iPod Touch unless there is nothing else.