Ipod battery info

Discussion in 'iPod' started by EngBrian, Apr 12, 2007.

1. EngBrian macrumors regular

I was wondering if there was software out there that could tell you the number of complete charge cycles and remaining capacity for an ipod battery.

I have seen threads on this forum with people quoting stats for a MB or MBP and was wondering if there was an equivalent piece of software for ipods. (BTW using a PC so software would need to work with that other OS)

thanks in advance for any help.

2. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

surely someone can give me a yes or no on this one.

Apologies for bumping (I know that doesn't excuse but...)

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, on MacBooks and PowerBooks that information is stored in the PRAM (I believe). As far as I know, the batteries in iPods aren't tracked in that way. I'm certainly not aware of any software that will give you that information. I think the only way you can figure out how your battery's doing is to see how long it lasts. :eek:

4. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

That makes sense. Just thought it would be a nice thing to be able to check on. The reason I was asking in the first place is that the battery performance is down a bit and I wanted to be able to put a number to it. Other than it runs for x hours on a charge.

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yeah, I've never heard of any software tracking iPod batteries either, though I agree it could be helpful.

The best I could find was this from Apple, but it's basically just telling you to let your iPod run until it dies, note how the battery performed, and then compare it to the numbers they give as to how long it should last (well, when it was new, anyways).

6. EngBrian thread starter macrumors regular

Well thanks for the responses. I have fully cycled the battery twice in the last couple days so at least the battery meter is a little more accurate than it used to be. But being a year old it isn't going to ever get back to its prime. But I realize that that is going to happen so I am not mad about it.

7. triobot macrumors member

triobot

it wouldn't be accurate anyways cos there are a number of variables:
    • battery - No two batteries perform the same EVER
    • how often you recharge - the more often you charge the pod without using its full battery, the battery's life will inevitably decrease..
    • and there are some other things but i can't be bothered to think so...

so yea