iPod - Buy or Wait?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Whits, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Whits macrumors member

My 30gb iPod Photo (that I love) is finally starting to bite the dust. It's been freezing up, skipping, and giving me errors. I'm guessing the reason is two years of getting knocked around and because it's been baking in my car lately.

I WISH that I could just buy a two year 30gb photo again, but they aren't selling for much cheaper than the new ones are.

Anyways, it works alright some of the time, but I can't count on it. Seeing that this is an Apple rumors site, should I go ahead and buy a new video - or wait for whatever is coming out next? I am guessing there are some die-hards around here who follow Apple's every move, so when do you expect a new iPod to be released? Just curious about how long you guys think it will be until they release a new one...

Also, while I am here - do you find the new ones any more or less durable than the Photo, or other previous iPods? The current ones (5, 5.5) seem more fragile to me, but I don't know if they actually are or not...

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

It's rumored that there'll be an iPod update on the 7th of August.

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I say wait because even if the August 7th iPod update is false, Apple historically has released new ones in September/October timeframe after the college iPod rebate has ended.

4. Whits thread starter macrumors member

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

i agree that there might be an update in august... They certainly are due for one. I own both a photo 30gb and a 5.5 30gb and i agree that the photo feels more solid but it is all personal preference. At this point i would wait for the new ipod

6. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

The new iPod coming out on August 7th will also be a wormhole transportation device that will allow you to travel to alternate worlds much like the device used in the hit television series, Sliders.

Ergo, you should wait until August 7th.

7. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Unfortunately theirs froze on shuffle on, no repeat, hence their predicament. :)

8. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Nicely done.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wait, the current iPod is pretty old, the design in almost 2 years old, with minor updates about a year old(and they weren't as big as the 4.5 update)

10. RovingMad macrumors newbie

August 7th 6G iPod

I work for a supplier to Apple (headquartered in China). I came across this picture is an internal document. I can't wait!!!!

Attached Files:

11. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

nuh uh. :confused: that looks like the iphone and display, just photoshopped in half.

/edit: i'm 98% sure this is fake. it looks like there are 2 hold switches... one on top, and one on the left.

but hey, it'd be super sweet if that was true.

12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

You should get better at photoshop before post, you have nobody fooled :D

13. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Welcome to the forums buddy!

Now stop spamming that same image...it is the worst Photoshop job ever...

Maybe the mods should make it so new members can't post images for the first month or a certain number of posts, these "OMG SECRET LEAKED IMAGEZ!!!" are getting rather dull.

14. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Fixing your current iPod at one of 3rd party sites might be a viable option for you, especially that you seem to like your iPod. Have you considered that?

Oh, a friend of my friend works for an Apple supplier in China and I've heard that they are coming up with the military version of iPod that they named i-iPod .

15. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

My 80 gig video was stoled, and I had to buy a new one because I NEED it for work. (yes, my work relies heavily on an iPod :) )

I got the 30 gig on my business card, and I'm waiting anxiously for the 6th gen to come out for personal use. If all these rumors are true about the 7th, thats not very far off....

16. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Wait until August 7th, and then if there's nothing, go ahead and purchase one. iPods last for quite a while (as is evident by your previous one) and hold a fairly good resale value in case you ever do want to sell and upgrade.