iPod buy time question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DoobieBrother, Jun 2, 2010.

1. DoobieBrother macrumors newbie

Ok. Here's the deal. One of my boys has been saving because he wants an iPod touch. He is within a few dollars of having enough. He's fine with the 8gig and has found that the Apple refurb section has them for $150. Now I know that new models should release in the next couple of weeks. So here's the question. For those of you that watch this stuff and buy regular, what are the odds on when new release happens? Current generation refurb price drops even further, supplies dry up so he can't get a refurb like that anymore, or nothing. I'm trying to decide whether to tell him to go ahead and buy or wait.

2. MRiOS macrumors regular

the iPhone line is up for refresh within the month, Ipods usually don't get upped until around september. I'd advise him to continue saving until September so he can either get one of the current models with 16GB or more on refurb/ clearance or the new entry level iPod Touch (most likely at 16GB). (the upside is that by that time the iPhone OS 4 update will be out and he won't have to pay for that extra if he buys the refurb.

3. DoobieBrother thread starter macrumors newbie

He's ten years old. He doesn't have the knowledge of what all it can do or the patience to wait that long. I'm just glad he's been saving for as long as he has for this one. At this point, I don't think he's going to care about 16gig. Good to know it will probably be a while for their release, though. Thanks!

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

One thing you should know, the 8gig iPod Touch is NOT the third generation hardware. It is slower, and also does not qualify for the OS4 multitasking abilities that the 32gig & 64gig models do.

This is not something that is very clear on apples website. Of course I'm sure the kid will be plenty happy with the 8gig, but it sucks that they are the slower ones.

The 32gig has a noticable improvement in overall speed, and will be able to handle current and future games better.

Just an FYI.

5. DoobieBrother thread starter macrumors newbie

It says "current generation". So did they not make a 3rd generation 8gig? I see two listings for the 32gig. One is current generation, and one is 2nd generation.

6. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

7. DoobieBrother thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Checking that out now. Well, here's what I've learned so far...

- 8gig models don't have the 3rd gen hardware. They'll update to OS4 when it's available (per Apple tech rep), but not do the multi-tasking.
    - no 16gig current generation avail.
    - 32Gig current gen has faster processor and will be able to do OS4 with full feature set.
    - new iPhone about to release, but iPods usually don't release till September.
    - $110 difference between older generation 8gig and current generation 32Gig which has a few more features including newer faster processor, multi-tasking ability with OS4 update, voice commands through headset with mic, etc.

I'm just wondering about entry price point on smallest of the next generation to release. I'll tell him about the camera possibility and see what he thinks.