IPod Camera Connector

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Nasus, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Nasus macrumors member

Has anyone purchased and used the camera connector for the video iPod yet. I'm headed to Alaska in August and I was wondering if it was actually a good idea to dump your pics into the iPod for storage?

Is it difficult to move the pics from your iPod to your computer and do they retain their quality?

2. 210 macrumors regular

Camera Connector

I have it and it's pretty good! The quality will remain the same when you transfer the pictures and also as soon as you plug in your iPod to your iTunes, a prompt comes up asking if you want to transfer the pictures to iPhoto - very easy.

The only gripe I have with the camera connector is that it is rather slow to transfer pictures from your camera to your iPod

3. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

OK for occasional use, but painfully slow

I have one that I travel with as an emergency BU to my dedicated Multimedia Sotrage Device, the Epson P-4000.

Can't say the exact numbers but if you had a 2GB compact flash card and wanted to transfer this to your iPod via the iPod Camera connector you would be looking at a transfer time of multiple HOURS.

Note that whenever I travel with a laptop I also use the iPod (80 GB) as a BU storage unit. I transfer the pictures to the laptop with a high speed USB card reader, but then do a high speed BU to my iPod with the standard connector. This is a great system, and I keep the iPod (containing the BU images) with me in case my MBP gets stolen from my hotel room when I'm out photographing.

Hopefully a future generation full screen iPod will sort this out and give us some acceptable speed!

4. 210 macrumors regular

Speed

I really hope they improve the transfer speed as well. I just take my camera, the camera connector, the iPod and the cable with me. I transfer pictures in parts because, as you said, I'll be waiting ages to transfer the whole lot.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Slooooooow. And hungry for juice (I wonder if it buffers the images in RAM or keeps the disk spinning. From the suckage of the battery I presume the latter). There are other OTG MP3 players which do a better job. But otherwise it seems to work without problems.

6. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I do agree that it is slow, but the above is an over-exaggeration. I was routinely downloading 2GB SD cards when I was on my honeymoon, and it would take roughly an hour.

I would highly suggest the you start the downloads with the iPod fully charged though.

Hickman

7. Nasus thread starter macrumors member

Would you recommend the P-4000 over the iPod? I have a MBP but I won't be staying in one particular hotel the whole time so I'm reluctant to tote it around with me. However, it would be nice to have something available to view the pics with. I'm wondering what the best storage/viewing option would be. I'm considering the iPod or maybe even a MacBook but the P-4000 looks like a great option too.

8. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

I see the iPod and P-5000 (they've since upgraded my old P-4000 to allow zooming in on RAW files) as different beasts. The former is primarily used for other purposes, while the latter is another piece of photographic gear, with a sticker price of almost $700.

For me, as a working photographer who shoots for my own projects, the P-4000 was just another tool in my bag - one with somewhat light use. I only use it when I want to travel ultra light and avoid hauling along a heavier, but more comprehensive, backup system of a MBP, an external 500 GB HD, my 80 GB iPod as another BU HD, and multiple DVD's.

But if I'm in a country where I'm moving around but know that I have to carry everything of value on my person, having all that extra gear is just too much. I usually travel with a couple of bodies, plus 3-4 L-series lenses, and after 12 hours of walking the streets shooting my shoulder is usually trashed. The extra 8-10 lbs of a computer and accessories is just not an option.

So I roll the dice, and hope that the P-4000 will have no problems (i.e. having just a single copy of my images before I purge my CF cards). Note this is the same issue as using the iPod Camera connector alone. My ideal situation is to have 2-3 BU's before I reformat my cards. As you can tell, I am planning for the worst, but the thing is that my images are the thing of value that can't be replaced. My cameras are expensive, but of course they are easy to replace. (As an aside, I've always thought that the ability to easily BU ones "negatives" in multiple locations was one of the greatest side benefits of the digital ages - reading newspaer articles about photographers who have lost their life's work as their negatives went up in flames always was so sad to me.)

Back to your situation of the general use but slow iPod vs the specific use but powerful P-5000 - how often do you need to back up images? How many times would you need to back up on an average trip? Is money an issue? Do you already have a large capacity iPod? If you bought a P-5000 and used it twice a year, would you feel like you made the wrong decision?

9. Nasus thread starter macrumors member

Your right, I'm kind of all over the map with this one and you pose some excellent questions to consider. I just started to get into photography last year and hopefully I'll be traveling more this year but at the present most of my excursions are daytrips that a few extra CF cards are perfect for. No - I don't have an iPod but I have been considering purchasing one for a multiple of reasons. Cost is not necessarily an issue but I do want to purchase wisely. I originally wanted to purchase a MacBook for travel/work and image backup but somehow I ended up with a MBP which I'm not comfortable lugging around but it is a great machine and my first MAC! I did look at the price of the P-5000 and I guess that unless I get in gear and do more shooting/traveling it's not really a justified purchase. Decisions, decisions...

10. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

It sounds like at this point in your photography the P-5000 is probably overkill. Use the money instead to move to some high quality glass if you haven't already, as it holds it value for ever. I bought a Canon 100-400 mm L series with IS 8 years ago, and it's still worth 75% of what I paid for it. I've gotten thousands of great images out of it, and it still comes with me on almost every trip even with its age.

In the same time I've been through countless film and digital bodies (7-8?), most of which are now worth nothingcompared to what I paid for them. I also have a first generation 10 GB multimedia BU system, like the P-4000, sitting in a drawer. Besides the company going bankrupt, it failed and hence is now a worthless paperweight.

11. Nasus thread starter macrumors member

I think I'm inclined to agree with you - thanks for reminding me what the real hobby is - photography. I love technology especially the Apple products so I tend to "overkill" on most technology I buy, hence the MBP when I only needed the MacBook. :eek:

I have two Canon lenses the EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. The 100-400 mm L series is definitely at the top of my shopping list especially since my focus in photography is wildlife and birds. The iPod is probably the best choice for me right now because it's something that will serve a dual purpose - it will entertain me during those long boring flights and I can use it to back up some photos when needed.