iPod car setup with aftermarket receiver

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by u6crash, Mar 14, 2009.

1. u6crash macrumors member

u6crash

My 2nd Gen Shuffle gave up the ghost this week and I am without a portable player of any kind. Previously I've only used it when I go running, but with whatever iPod I get now, I want to use it as my primary car audio as well. I cleaned out my car last week and found 37 CDs in there and even with the stock six-disc changer, I don't have enough variety.

Problem is that factory car stereo isn't terribly iPod friendly. There are some advanced connectors I can get, but it would ultimately cost less to buy a new head unit.

Currently I'm looking at a Pioneer DEH-P5000UB. It's one of several makes and models that allows you to control the iPod using the receiver's controls. I like the Pioneers a little better because if I choose to go with a steering wheel remote in the future (trying to be as safe as I can), their options are more reasonable.

That being said, does anyone have recommendations for car stereos that excel with iPod integration? If the extent of integration is skipping ahead to the next song, I'll just go with another Shuffle. I'd prefer to be able to access favorite playlists from the stereo, or something to that effect. I haven't decided which iPod I'll be getting, but it will most likely be a Nano (though a refurb Touch isn't out of the question). The main requirement I have is that it have three pairs of preamp outs because of the goofy way the car is wired for sound.

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...many JVC head units now come with iPod connector cables and they're less than $100... I have JVC HDR1's on both car's and they work well (already ~2 yrs old)...

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I have an Alpine head that works great with my iPod. The connector is only $30 too. It's just an analog dock connector that sits in your glove box. You can use the controls on receiver to select by song, playlist, artist, whatever.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I've never seen a head unit with three preamped outputs... usually they're 4 x 50 watts. But I could be way off - where I worked we only sold pretty basic to medium range stuff.

Pioneer equipment is excellent. My last car was all Pioneer, and I was very happy. Alpine gets good reviews, too, though. If it was me, I would get something like this, but that might be a bit much for your needs. ;)

5. u6crash thread starter macrumors member

u6crash

Yeah, I wasn't aware there were so many models with 3 pairs of preamps, but they actually make up the majority of those that I'm looking at on Crutchfield. They are still 4 x 50 for the main speakers, but in my case my car has extra subs and additional speakers to power.

That Pioneer unit does look nice, but is a little out of my price range since I'm also buying an iPod. Right now I'm looking at the P6000-UB which is a step up from the one I posted previously. For ten dollars more it will have a 7 band EQ and it does allow to search alphabetically by album, artists, genre, and more, so I think it will do the trick.

6. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

As for the iPod question, I think the extra cost associated with an iPod touch is well worth it. I think the nano and classic are inevitably dead ends, and they will be outmoded in the next two years. For $150 you get an 8gb 4g nano, for $200 you get an 8gb touch 2g (refurbished), and for $230 you get a new 8gb touch 2g. I think that the refurbished 8gb touch is the sweet spot for you. It has at least 4x the storage of your shuffle, and an infinite number of features because of the app store. Sorry I don't know all that much about your head unit, but I thought this is also an important part of the decision process because not all head units work with iPod touches and iPhones. I know that my Polk Audio I-Sonic ES2 speaker system required a software update to work 100% with my 32gb touch 2g.

7. ErasableRock macrumors newbie

...and for the same price you get 15x the space with a Classic.

His original question is with using the ipod thru his head unit, while complaining about lack of variety... I think having 120gb of music available trumps 8gb EVERY TIME.

I have had an Alpine head unit with Ipod adapter for over a year and love it. Crutchfield is amazing, Alpine head units are well designed and intuitive. With the iPod plugged into the adapter it wouldn't allow use of the Apps. (perhaps some do, but the Alpine hardware basically Syncs with the Ipod, and offers superior quality playback to using AUX minijack)

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Only if the OP actually has more than 8GB of music. ;)

The head-unit looks like a stellar buy, especially at that price. I had a similar (albeit much older version) of something similar in my car, and loved it. And you can add Bluetooth from the sounds of it, which is neat.

I think for $200 you can't go wrong. :)

9. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

3 pre-amps are extremely common now. The 4x50w refers to the units internal amplifier, which is decent for most people, but if you want any amount of serious power or quality you want an external amplifier.

Thus, 3 pre-amps: Front channel out (L&R), Rear channel out (L&R), Subwoofer out (L&R).

As for a good unit: the one you linked to looks great! Consider Alpine units as well, but if you want the remote option than this looks good. Crutchfield is a good source, you'll be very happy with them!

10. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Considering the op was ok with an iPod nano, I thought a touch would be reasonable. Not everyone has 50gb of music. Personally, I have 15, and found 32gb to be the sweet spot. Like I said before, the nano and classic are at a dead end. What else can really be done with their current form factor? While I would love 120gb, I think the benefits of the iphone os far outweigh the extra 90gb.

11. ErasableRock macrumors newbie

I love the iPod Touch, but with 115+gb of music just doesn't seem the smartest choice when I can have my entire collection in my car on a Classic for the same price :) (until it's stolen.)

I look forward to the day when we get 80+ gb in a Touch