Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enterprise8875

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
I just got a new car(a 2000 Mercury Sable) and tried to use my cassette adapter from my old car(96 Dodge Intrepid) but it work work. It sucks the cassette in(like a little motor) plays music for about a second then says error and spits the tape out. I looked it up and apparently its becuase i have something called a logic deck. Anyone know anyway to fix this other then getting an FM transmitter?

Thanks

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Here's my experience

Does your cassette adapter have gears inside that cause both spindles to turn? By this I mean that some adapters have two empty holes in them while some have gears in them that are connected. You see, some cassette players work fine with adapters that have two empty holes because the cassette player doesn't mind if only one spindle turns. However, some cassette players require both spindles to turn and if there are no gears inside your adapter, then the player will turn one spindle, realize that the other spindle is not being turned, and eject the adapter. I have a Sony Tape player and a Sony cassette adapter, but I'm annoyed because this model Sony cassette deck will not accept my adapter because it doesn't have gears in it and only one spindle turns. So, I had to buy a Monster cassette adapter that has gears in it and it now works fine. Does that make sense to you? I hope so.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Do cassettes work in the deck? It is a 6 year old car, the deck could be the problem. Have you tried cleaning it?

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
My Taurus, and now my Jetta do not always accept tapes. It seems to be more during cold weather than anything. My solution is to blow the tape similar to a harmonica and toss it in the player. Works fine for whatever I'm doing.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone tried those cassette adapters that hook through the dock connector and somehow control the iPod?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.