Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ciffers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
So I have an iPod touch. I have always had a passcode on it. I just restarted my iPod and whenever I try to unlock it, it keeps showing the keyboard and asks for a totally different passcode. My old passcode only had 4 numbers, no letters. I've already tried entering the same 4 numbers in my old passcode but that doesn't work and now it's locked for 5 minutes. I don't know what to do! I really don't want to restore it because I have so much stuff on it. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to unlock it?

Please and thank you :)

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
You cant, you would have to restore the iPod

I doubt the iPod did it itself.

Computers only do what you tell them, or what someone else told them to do.

an iPod does not have the capacity to change its own password for kicks and giggles

I agree with the above comment, sounds like the device has been stolen. I can only hope that it is not, or that if it is, you will be returning it or handing it into your local police depo.

If this is a genuine problem though, a restore and backup from your old iPod backup should sort you out. Force the device into DFU mode and do it that way

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Considering this was a first post, and the OP doesn't seem to have returned, yes, I would say this was a stolen iPod and that s/he was not legitimate.

Close the thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.