iPod Charger Compatibility

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by arsenalgear, Feb 22, 2009.

1. arsenalgear macrumors member

Hi,

Is it possible to charge an iPod Touch 2g using the charger from an iPod 4g?

Just curious. :)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Why the "thumbs down" logo? FWIW any USB iPod/iPhone charger should work. The first gen iPhone will also charge via Firewire, but I think it was one of the last devices that could. But any USB power adapter should work.

3. arsenalgear thread starter macrumors member

Oops, sorry. I was in a rush and thought I selected a question mark. It is fixed. Anyway, thanks for the info! :)

4. TMC2k1 macrumors member

An iPod 4G charger WILL NOT charge an iPod Touch 2g/iPhone 3G. You need to buy another charger. I got an iPod Touch 2G after my 4G iPod Photo 30GB kept messing up. The car charger would not charge the 2G.

I assume you are talking about car chargers.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm assuming he's talking about wall chargers. If that's the case you'll have no problem as all iPod USB chargers are the same. Of course the new ones are smaller but they'll charge all iPods (and iPhones) as well.

6. TMC2k1 macrumors member

Yeah, if you are talking about wall chargers they will work fine. My 4G iPod Photo came with a USB wall charger and it works fine with the 2G Touch.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Right. The reason the car chargers had so much trouble is actually not unrelated to the whole betraying Firewire thing. Car chargers for most products that have them charge at 12V (the car battery's potential), which is the same voltage as the power pin on the firewire bus. The power pin on the USB bus is 5V, which made things more complicated, because the car charger now needs a stepdown transformer.

8. arsenalgear thread starter macrumors member

Yup, I am talking about a wall charger. Sorry for not being more specific. I'm glad i don't have to plunk down $30 for a new charger. Thanks to everyone for the helpful info!

9. arsenalgear thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I just tried charging my 2g Touch with my 4g iPod wall charger and it doesn't work. When I plugged in the Touch, a message appeared stating that charging with this accessory was not supported. Bummer.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Really? And this is one that has a USB plug on it? That's very odd. Devices that do something besides provide power make the iPod complain, but I didn't think this would be an issue. Just FWIW... after you get the message, does it actually charge? For instance, my iPhone gives that message when it's plugged in my older iHome, and it cannot do audio on the iHome via the dock, but it charges fine (I use it only in a pinch)....

EDIT: Aww, drat. I'm sorry. Apparently something has changed, as this time when I searched, I found this advice on some third party adapters. Odd, I was sure I'd heard of it working fine.