Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Hi folks!

So, I have pulled out some of my old iPod classics to enjoy my music in a more simple and classic design.

I’ll tell you what, the nostalgia is real! I have really enjoyed polishing, cleaning up, and syncing my music to these amazing devices.

So far I have cleaned and synced my 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 5.5 generation iPod Classics. All still work!

The 2nd gen battery is almost fully shot, the 5 and 5.5 generations batteries are spotty at best, but the 4th generation is still an absolute beast....i can get almost 6 hours of playback easily.

My big concern in the iPod classic I purchased right before they were discontinued. It’s a 160 GB latest generation and I purchased it just to “have”. Well I opened it up and set it up for the first time!

Battery is great, it was super satisfying to set it up, and its a great piece of classic apple history.

BUT my big concern is that while it is in use I can hear the HD making a “peeeew” noise.

It is a slight noise, but it is audible. There is occasionally a click from the HD as well, so I am hoping that it is not the HD failing. My 4th gen is still insanely quiet. My 5 and 5.5 gen click every once in a while, but the ‘PEEEEW’ noise on the 160 GB is odd to me.

Does anyone have a similar experience? Thanks

*obligatory photo op - the 2G is at home..

Attachments

• 464C92C5-310C-4210-AE03-A3B7A7F80360.jpeg
    464C92C5-310C-4210-AE03-A3B7A7F80360.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5,114

togruber

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2018
Hi,
I recommend to have a look in the diagnostic mode. Restart the iPod (Menü+Center), then immediately push left and Center Button to enter diagnostic mode. Then select IO, harddrive and Smart Data. The most important menu entry is pending sectors. 0 is fine, over 5 ist a problem.

Regards
Torsten

Reactions: JSENNY25

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Hi,
I recommend to have a look in the diagnostic mode. Restart the iPod (Menü+Center), then immediately push left and Center Button to enter diagnostic mode. Then select IO, harddrive and Smart Data. The most important menu entry is pending sectors. 0 is fine, over 5 ist a problem.

Regards
Torsten

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate it. Looks like smart data is all 0s, so that is good.

Shows how low the batteries really are on the 5/5.5 iPods too.... I better look into that

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I actually have the same noise on my 160GB Classic. Manufactured in 2012. HDD seems fine though. Perhaps this is a common sound these models make. I would use mine, but the battery is not as good as it used to be, and there are a ton of black specks on the display. Maybe I'll start a thread about it.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I actually have the same noise on my 160GB Classic. Manufactured in 2012. HDD seems fine though. Perhaps this is a common sound these models make. I would use mine, but the battery is not as good as it used to be, and there are a ton of black specks on the display. Maybe I'll start a thread about it.

Hey thanks it’s nice to know I’m not going crazy... as for the display, I have never had any issues but good luck!

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
My 2003 iPod made a whirring noise. That’s what life was like with hard disks I guess!

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
My 2003 iPod made a whirring noise. That’s what life was like with hard disks I guess!

Very true.... I am kicking around the idea of swapping the HD for an SSD in my 5th gen white. It needs a new battery so if I’m already in their I might give it a go

Reactions: bluecoast

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
There is occasionally a click from the HD as well, so I am hoping that it is not the HD failing.

I have a 120GB Classic and ever since day one it's had a small clicking noise. I would say that's normal.

As for the other noises, I'd never heard any on mine, so I can't be sure.

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
I have a 120GB Classic and ever since day one it's had a small clicking noise. I would say that's normal.

As for the other noises, I'd never heard any on mine, so I can't be sure.

Thanks for the heads up...at least I feel a little better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.