Ipod classic 2nd generation for windows on mac?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jimmysummer, Feb 23, 2014.

1. jimmysummer macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

I have just bought an Ipod classic 2nd generation for windows.
    It is a 2002 model.
    Although this is a windows version, can I use it with a mac?
    How can I do?

2. Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

Yes, you should be able to. Have you not tried? Macs can read windows format. But to make it more reliable you should format it to HFS instead of FAT ;)

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That iPod is Firewire only (no USB or the later 30-pin connector)
    You can change it to a Mac version simply by restoring through iTunes on a Mac.
    You may need to find an older iTunes version that still supports the firewire connection. That support, I think, was dropped in iTunes 9 and later.

4. Fralle macrumors 6502

Fralle

I think its obvious its only FireWire ;)
    You are also so wrong about iTunes my friend. Jimmy, you just find a FireWire cable and connect to your Mac (with FW port). It works fine with all versions of iTunes!

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Your problem will be that the FireWire cable won't fit on your Mac as it's an old specification. I can't use my 3rd generation iPod with its included FireWire cable on my 2011 MacBook Pro for example.

6. jimmysummer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everybody for your answers.

Everything is OK now. I manage to use it only with iTunes 7 on my iMac G4.
    iTunes 8 and more don't recognize the iPod and I don't manage to restore it with iTunes 6 and less.

7. benjyhe macrumors newbie

Just wanted to confirm for anyone looking at this in the future you DO NOT need an old version of iTunes. I'm running iTunes 12.3 on El Capitan and a 2nd gen Windows formatted iPod was recognized in iTunes and I have the option to restore and even update it to a newer software version. For the record it's connected with a FW400->800(Harddrive)->FW800->Thunderbolt adapter in my iMac. So I'm pretty sure any cord combination you can come up with will work :)