iPod Classic 80GB, buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by magnifor, May 25, 2008.

1. magnifor macrumors newbie

I want to buy a 80GB iPod Classic before 18 July because i go on holiday (five weeks). My question is now, what is the best thing to do? Must I wait till 18 July or can I buy it now because no update is expected before 18 July?

I know that a new iPod Nano and/or iPod Touch is expected in 3rd quarter of 2008, but is says nothing about the Classic:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/27/ipod-nano-ipod-touch-revisions-in-3rd-quarter-2008/

The MacRumors Buyer's Guide says that a update is expected soon, but it's based on how much days it's been when the iPod Classic was announced and not on inside sources or something like that.

I can't wait for you advice guys and girls. Thanks. :)

2. m1stake macrumors 68000

Wait for WWDC on June 9 before you buy. Updates will be posted live to macrumors!

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nothing will happen. September is iPod update month.

4. twixmonster macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, I've been looking to buy a Classic soon too. I think I'm gonna wait until the June 9th WWDC thing, and if it's not updated, I'm gonna buy it as soon as I can.
    I've seen predictions for this September though
    One of them being that they'll drop the 80gb and then leave it at the 160gb at the price of the 80gb
    I'm not really sure though, cause theres also predictions on memory size update, but I don't really care for waiting another 4 months to get a new iPod.

5. Minico88 macrumors newbie

Do not wait. The only update is going to be to the IPhone. They will have the free Ipod promo if you plan on purchasing a new Mac. If you want to wait until September, that is going to be the next update for Ipods.

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Doesn't make any sense for Apple to update randomly in July. The biggest push is always around the holiday season. September is the month.

7. magnifor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will wait for the WWDC. If the iPod Classic is not updated at the WWDC then I will buy the Classic so soon as I can. :)

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

There is no reason to wait unless there is new hardware for the iPod coming soon. Has there been any updates to the 1.8" HDD other than the faster spinning one?

If not then there won't be any new gadgets to put into the thing, or any UI updates.

9. magnifor thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think there will be a iPod Classic update at the WWDC, but you never know. :)

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

I doubt the classic will see another update, I believe it is doomed with the touch model being 'the future'. Apple will want to get as many touch platforms out there as possible that can take advantage of the new app store.

What I would REALLY love to see is a HDD based touch. 160gb touch would be seriously sweet, even if it required the thickness of the iphone or even slightly thicker.

Maybe that is what the rumored tablet will be; an iPod touch with a bigger screen and 1.8" HDD storage.

11. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Buy now. I think the only possible iPod update before the end of summer/September will be a price drop on the Touch.

12. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

I agree with you on that one - but it's too early for that to happen yet. The capacity of the flash memory needs to catch up first and be much cheaper. Probably won't happen for a few years yet I reckon?

Now if that's the case, then I can see the classic going bye bye... providing it aint gonna be too expensive.

13. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I really can't see classic updates at WWDC. Way too random! Have iPods ever been updated at WWDC?

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yeah within the next year I can see them completely killing the Classic and replacing it with a touch screen + HDD, or pending on the capacity and price of SSD, killing it completely in favour of the touch.

15. EricHitchmo macrumors newbie

Are there any prospects for someone who wants an iPod of around 80 gb or more, but who has no interest in watching video on a tiny screen?

It was disappointing that the Nano went to video.

Any thoughts?

I wish they'd just release a budget iPod based upon the 4th or 5th gen Classics. No more technology was required, just a bit of fine tuning to make the HD more stable and with more Gb, improve battery life, and they could have left it like that.

16. Cyburnclassic macrumors member

Or they should just make the Classic flash but keep the same design. like the capacities would be in 32GB and 64GB first, then 96GB and 128GB later on.

17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Maybe two or three years tops... there are still music fans filling up their 80GB Classics with just music and podcasts. Or the DJ that has an iPod as a portable music store.

I doubt it will be flash, since the Nano and Touch are flash based already. The only thing keeping the Classic in people's eyes are the storage capacity/price/and "classic" feel.

Even if the capacities started out low, they would get killed off since the Touch has a better UI and much more features.

And I don't think it would go 32 > 64 > 96... they have been doubling the capacities starting with 4MB for the longest time (sans the very very early flash cards i.e. 640MB for $250).

I think you are right.... there is still a market for users that want 100+GB of music storage and nothing else... then there are those that want 100+GB of video storage and nothing else. The 32GB Touch is a start at catering to those with a lot of media to maintain, but at $500 it's pricey.

I think the only additions to the Classic that are reasonable are a NON scratch prone back and a faster HDD that doesn't draw too much heat and battery drain. Battery life is amazing with the thing already and the capacity is pretty much maxed out unless they stick a 160 in the low end and a 200 (is there a 200GB 1.8") in the high end. Or maybe a 120 in the low and keep the 160 in the high.

Having 160GB of stuff with you in a tiny case can't be beat.

I doubt the Touch will ever go HDD based. I waited for that, but got the Classic since it was much more refined over the last version. The Touch needs speed to run effectively, and the 1.8" drive in the iPod is just WAY TOO SLOW... slower even than the drive in the Air AFAIK.

The Classic will be here for another two or more years, may get updated when there is new hardware to put into it, or some newly refined UI, but that won't come at WWDC... the only thing people are looking for are the 3G iPhone which may be definite, official SDK release (not a BETA) and App Store opening, maybe just maybe a redesigned MacBook so the rumor heads expect, and something else that may blow us away (TABLET as described above, bigger iPod Touch (6" screen) with HDD but won't look ANYTHING like the iPod Touch.

If you want the classic, you can wait and cross your fingers for about a week then buy afterwards regardless. Or you can check the MR buyers guide.

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Theres already a 256gb SSD drive on the market, which is bigger than the biggest 1.8" HDD. Granted it costs thousands at the moment, but in a year it will be much less.

19. bf2008 macrumors member

ipod with digital out

What about an ipod with digital out? All other mac products have this, so why not the ipods? Is it because of the drm thing? But then, now with the move to non drm music, I think it's a good point to release this update for the ipod.

20. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

WWDC doesn´t deal with iPods.

True, and this has been the pattern since 2005, so I would expect 2008 to be the same.

21. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

am i the only one that still prefers the physical click wheel?
    for controlling an ipod in my pocket or in the car, it's much easier to press a button than it is to find where the button is on the screen. i have a 5g ipod which i prefer in my car. not only do i think it's easier to skip tracks, it's arguably safer since you don't have to look for where the button is. and i also have an iphone so it's not like i don't have experience with a touch screen.
    i guess what i'm saying is, i hope they don't get rid of the classic.

22. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Everything will be cheaper in a year... but more importantly, will the 256GB SSD be cheap enough to stick into an iPod Touch or iPhone? And if so, how much will it cost to stick the 300GB 1.8" HDD into an iPod Classic? Or the super fast 1.8" @ 5400 rpm that runs cool enough to be in a tight space?

Lastly, will the @ 256GB SSD cost us the premium that two 16GB SSDs cost us now, ala the 32GB iPod Touch?

You're aren't the only one. When it comes to straight music portability/functionality/easy access and so forth, the Classic can't be beat in my opinion. It's built for music with the sole intention and purpose of the device to be music.

The Touch is sweet and so far the best media player/basic PDA you can find
    on the market hands down... I mean nothing comes close or probably ever will, but it's no where near as easy to use without looking or without interruption as the iPod Classic. And you can't beat the price per GB.

23. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

ipods are christmas presents, all christmas presents from any company gets released in the fall. They are not going to release a new ipod in the summer, stock holders would be furious with apple.

The ipod touch will likely see revisions throughout the year since its using expensive new technology which is dropping in price at a rapid rate (and the revisions will just be price drops and maybe a couple gb bumps). But the classic is stuck the way it is since it uses older technology that is already cheap and pretty much maxed out in possibilities.