Ipod classic 80gb on ebay

Discussion in 'iPod' started by gimmeiphone, Aug 15, 2008.

1. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

looking to buy an ipod classic off ebay for around £120 ($230ish?) and just wondering if its still under warranty am i covered if i dont have the receipt? also if i buy applecare off ebay from america, can i still use it on a uk bought ipod? reaallly need an ipod for college next month

2. 204467 macrumors 6502a

I think your best course of action would just be to wait for the iPod refresh, see what happens and an new Classic may end up costing less. Of course, nothing may happen, but then again, not a day goes by when an iPod Classic is not up for sale on eBay.

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Refurbished is the way to go

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB147ZO/A

Online Apple UK store has them cheaper than that, full warranty and in my experience (at least as far as iPods go) refurbished is better than new, my wife has a 8gb red iPod nano she got new from the Apple store, while i got a 8gb black refurbished iPod nano and the battery life on mine is a lot better than hers

4. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

how weird i checked apple refurbs earlier and there wasnt any! lol cheers dude:D

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Refurbs come and go, if you want a refurbished item be sure to check the refurb store regularly.

6. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

been reading bout refurbs and just wondering, knowing how scratch prone the back is, do you think there will be any scratches on it? i dont want it to feel like someone elses old ipod lol

7. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I've got 4 refurbished ipods from Apple, none have had any scratches and come just like brand new

edit-one of those was actually an 80gb classic, a current gen 8gb nano, and 2 previous gen 4gb nanos, i've since sold the 80gb and 1 of the 4gb nanos, the only reason i sold the classic was cause i didn't need it anymore, i only used the 80gb w/ composite cord to hook up to my friends tv and watch shows at his house, but now i've got a macbook with a 320gb hd, so i take my macbook and my nano and sync whatever shows i want to watch, i was always kind of worried about the phsyical hard drive in the classic not that i ever had problems with it, but i saw more potential for problems. I sold the classic to a friend/co worker and it's still working great tho, so if you see a need for it i say go for it (i only have 6gb of music so my nano does me just fine)

8. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

i always thought that ipods had flash drives :confused: wow dont know if i like the idea of a hd bouncin about in me pocket lol besides i will never in a million years fill 80gb, but i think id like about a 20gb, the 8gb nanos dont have enough space but i do want one of the newer ones i hated the older plastic ones my friend has an ipod video and u cn barely see for the scratches, any that youd recommend?

9. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

Go refurb... get the full warrenty and at a better price.. unless you are a student or have issues being the second owner, refurb is the way to go.

10. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Classics are the only ones with actual hard drives, all the others use flash, but if you want 20 GB or so you're left with 2 options, 80GB Classic or 32GB iPod Touch, of course the cheaper choice is the Classic and would probably be a good choice if you're gonna use it in your pocket just to listen to music, but if you're going to use it for videos then might wanna go with the Touch. If you're worried about the hard drive on the Classic just be sure to get AppleCare and you should be fine.

(The reason Classics have so much storage compared to the others is because of the hard drives, flash memory to reach that much capacity would be too expensive and take up too much room)

11. gimmeiphone thread starter macrumors 6502

i think a 16gb iphone would be perfect but again i dont want to buy one off ebay incase sumit goes wrong with it, and im put off the classic cos of the hard drive :eek:

12. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I would go with a 16gb iPod Touch if you dont want an iPhone. Since the Touch is the future of all iPods who knows how much longer the Classic with be around. Soon it could be just the Touch.

13. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

what about the iphone 16GB sounds good (just to get an idea of what you're looking for) do you need the phone feature? or do you like the touch interface? or just the storage capacity of it?

if it's the phone feature, then yes get the iphone 16gb
    if it's the touch feature, perhaps a ipod touch 16gb would do
    if it's the storage capacity, maybe wait and see if the update the ipod nanos to 16GB in september...if you can wait