iPod Classic 80GB

Discussion in 'iPod' started by XxCH3AT3RxX, Nov 23, 2007.

1. XxCH3AT3RxX macrumors regular

Yep had my dad order me a iPod classic 80GB and the iPod classic leather case on Apple.com site today for my XMas gift. I got iPod Classic 80GB + Leather Case for $257.95 since it is black friday. I think that is a real good deal. The iPod was $228 and the Case for $30.

I was just wondering is there anything I need? My brother has a Wall charger that he uses on his older iPod nano(Forgot which Generation.) Not sure if it will work for this but I guess I will find out in this thread. If it doesn't work I will just charge it on my PC. What iPod Classic Video converters should I get for movies? If I think of anything else I will post after this.

2. Highcroft macrumors regular

I usually use Handbrake to rip my movies from DVDs and ffmpegX to convert videos I downloaded.

3. XxCH3AT3RxX thread starter macrumors regular

Alright I will try that when I get my iPod. But the same program I use to convert videos for my PS3 made a program to convert movies for iPod classic so I will probably try both out and see which is good. This is the site: http://www.redkawa.com/

Also is the classic a good iPod? I have never purchased or owned one so I am very excited for the time to come so I can open this. Has there been any problems with classic, do you release firmware updates to fix these problems?

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

The iPod classic is an excellent iPod! (iLounge has a great review here). It had a few problems with sluggish menus when it first came out, but a software update fixed that a while ago, and I don't think there are any other widespread problems.
    One thing you might want to try and do before you get the iPod (assuming you have not already) is to make sure that as much of your music as possible has album art. If you have an iTunes account, just select 'Get Album Artwork' from iTunes' 'Advanced' menu. That should get at least 80% automatically.
    Also, that wall charger of your brother's will definitely work with the classic.

5. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I love my Classic, haven't had a bit of trouble with it. Very nice battery life, too. What color is yours?

Tom B. is right - you'll definitely want to make sure you have album art to take advantage of the coverflow feature. In a word, it simply rocks! :D

Oh, and the only accessory I bought (other than a case) was an InvisibleShield (because those things are smudge-magnets and I'm anal about things like that :rolleyes: ) Even though it's nice, I don't know if I can recommend it because its a bit nerve-wracking to have to apply wet plastic on an expensive toy. You could probably live without that.

You're lucky to have a charger already, I'll have to buy one because I'm tired of having to plug it into the computer to charge.

6. XxCH3AT3RxX thread starter macrumors regular

Ordered it today at 11:45AM. At 4:30PM it says Fed Ex " Package data transmitted to FedEx" Estimated Delivery is November 27th, my birthday. But can't see it until XMas, :rolleyes: :(. It is a black iPod classic and I ordered the black leather case to protect it.

I will create an iTunes account and find the album art for the music I have, now. Thanks.

How do I create my own list of music on iTunes? I do not want to mix up my brothers iTunes music for his iPod with what I want to add. Under playlists do I just create my own folder?

Alright I made an account, logged in. I had some music of mine. I only entered the Artist name and name of song. Then I clicked Advanced then get album artwork. It scanned but I don't think it found anything because when I put it in album view it was all blank, am I suppose to fill out the album name as well? Gonna take awhile.

7. XxCH3AT3RxX thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to double post, didn't want this question to be looked past. I was wondering is there an option I can put so the iPod that connects to the computer does not automatically get updated? My brother has his iPod set up on this computer with all his music. But I want to make it so only my music gets copied over by holding Ctrl and selecting all my music. So is this possible? because I do not want his music and he doesn't want mine.

8. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Yea its called manual mode.

9. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

When you plug your iPod in it will give you the option of only syncing with specific playlists. All you need to do is make a playlist with all of your music in, and tell the iPod to only sync that playlist.
    Or, you could go a step further and create a whole new library of your own, by holding down option while you launch iTunes.

About the album art, iTunes will only find it if the album name is filled in, and also, any spelling mistakes will also hinder the 'get album artwork' option.