iPod Classic and Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bamaworks, Jan 29, 2008.

1. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why the 5th Generation classic has such terrible battery reliability? I know tons of people who say theirs won't get 5 hrs listening to MP3s, and you see a large number of people saying the same thing / selling theirs on eBay. Is it just a bad lot of batteries, or is it something that the 5G does to them?

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

They seem to be a minority, many people i know (including myself) get loads of battery life. I rarely charge mine (less than 8 times), use it every day, and have had it since they were released. I easily get the 30 hours it says. It is possible that if they listen to very high quality files they will diminish the battery faster because the hard drive has to spin more times since less songs are in it's cache, but I doubt that would reduce usage to that low...

My battery meter isn't always accurate, but i still get the correct length of use out of the iPod itself...

3. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I don't get it either. I use my Classic everyday: most of the day at work and during the commute on the train. I charge it at most two times a week and that is mainly if I have been watching video. If I have just been listening to tunes, it usually only needs one charge per week.

I LOVE my classic.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I get really good battery life from my 160GB classic, over 40 hours without completely running down.

I don't think the OP really meant iPod classic though, he mentions 5G in the post and lists :apple:iPod Video 30gig in his signature.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Agreed, I can go 4-5 days of listening for about 8 hours a day on one charge with my 160GB Classic.

By the way to the thread started, the 5G iPods are not Classic iPods. Only the iPods released in September 07, the 80GB and the 160Gb are Classic Ipods.