Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

15danielp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Tucson, Arizona
I've kept the iPod Classic in my shopping cart on Amazon for a week now, in anticipation of the device being discontinued rather then updated. Suddenly it went from "in stock" to "pre-order. Available October 5th."

I wonder what, if anything, this means.

15danielp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Tucson, Arizona
So now I'm pretty sure it has always said 7th gen. And now the black version is in stock but the price dropped. The silver version is still on pre-order.

This is probably nothing, just wishful thinking.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Gen 6 in the UK

Amazon UK is selling the Gen 6 as the "latest" but have recently cut prices.

I have been meaning to update the Gen 5.5 I use in my car for some time, now that I have updated the firmware on the Denison ICE Gateway 500 iPod link to the Porsche PCM 2.2 system. I think my gen 5.5 is at least 4 years old now, which is a good life for an iPod. I know some much older ones still work but I think they have lucky owners. Even if the Classic is dropped tomorrow, refurbs will be available for a long time on ePrey. I bought a Gen 6 refurb last year. it looked like new and works perfectly, apart from an occasional click between tracks when playing on a Pure i20 Digital output dock.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Its a done deal, Classic is remaining the same. I think they just did that for price adjustments in the event there is a new higher capacity one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.