iPod Classic Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mleibowi, Feb 22, 2008.

1. mleibowi macrumors member

I just bought an iHome H9 radio/alarm clock. Since the base constantly charges the iPod, will it decrease the battery life of my ipod classic? I recall reading somewhere that it is not good for the battery to constantly charge once it is fully charged. Is there any truth to this and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

In the long run, maybe it'll decrease the life. But we are talking about fractions of %'s here. Nothing to worry about. Not to mention the Classic's battery life is so damn good that whats a few minutes of life drain here and there for the convenience of not worrying about it?

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I wouldn't worry too much about it...prior to my Classic, I had a Photo that spent the majority of its time plugged into my car stereo (which also constantly charged it). The battery seemed to last just fine when I would use it on the go.

4. mleibowi thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies- the ihome9 manual states that it doesn't overcharge ipods, so I guess it's all good.

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Even if the base station didn't say that, iPods 4th gen. and afterward (including Nanos, Shuffles) have included sensors to automatically stop bringing full charge to the battery so "overcharging" doesn't occur.