iPod Classic Buy Now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by licensetochill5, Aug 16, 2008.

  1. licensetochill5 macrumors newbie

    Nov 26, 2007

    So my iPod has finally crapped out on me. I decided I don't want a touch or a nano so I know no matter what I want the classic.

    Which brings me to the question, do I wait to buy it for the new updates? I've been reading that it looks unlikely that the classic will be updated so I'm thinking I should just go ahead and buy it now.

    What do you guys think I should do?
  2. iTeen macrumors 65816


    Aug 13, 2007
    Depends on how much you want it. There is a small but considerable chance that the iPod Classic might receive some kind of update. Or you could buy it at some place where they have a 30day return policy....just in case. ;)
  3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Mar 7, 2008
    Considering you have no other option.... buy now! If you have an iPhone.... then use it and wait for September!!!
  4. licensetochill5 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 26, 2007
    What places have a 30 day return policy?

    And also, the iPod still works. Just freezes alot which is obviously very annoying.

    Thanks so far.
  5. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

    Dec 27, 2004
    I'd say the only update the classic might have is an improvement in storage (80-100?)

    I'd say you're pretty safe on getting a new classic now without having buyers remorse.
  6. Mal macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2002
    Likely that it will receive an update, likely that it won't be huge, but you never know.

    Purchase it at RadioShack for the 30-day return policy (unless they've changed it since I quit), or I'm sure other retailers also do. I'd suggest trying to keep yours going as long as you're willing first, perhaps try a restore if you haven't already? It's a fairly sure bet that some updates will be coming, but of course it's never sure what they will be. Apple could blow us all away, or we could wake up one morning to a capacity bump and nothing more.

  7. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

    Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I bought one for really cheap on EBay to tide me over (it was $150 for an 80GB without any accessories.) This way I can sell it later if I there's something new I want in September.

    But I doubt there will be big change to the Classic. Look at the year before the Classic- the '5.5 G' iPod added a brighter screen, some software improvements, and I think that's about it. So we may see something along those lines in September.

    I'm expecting bigger change from the Nano and Touch. At the very least they will increase the storage capacity at each price point. Whereas with the Classic I'm not sure if there is a significantly larger HD that is a drop in replacement for the current 80GB. Not that I really need more than 80GB anyway...

Share This Page