Ipod Classic - compatibility with existing car head units?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by johny5, Jan 7, 2008.

1. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I am upgrading my current 80gb 5g ipod and wanted the new classic 160gb Ipod but wondered how the compatibility was, if it was the same as the 5g?
    I am guessing it will be as theyre only commands like play, forward rev etc that are sent from the head unit to the Ipod but know that the new classic had issues with other hardware that it docked with.

My car head unit is a pioneer Avic-D3 and would be great to hear of anyone with the new classic integrated into a head unit.

(on a side note I hope its faster when browsing the ipod!?)

2. talz13 macrumors newbie

I just got an 80g classic, and it works fine on my Alpine unit. Previous to this, I had a 4th gen ipod and had been using it with this unit until now, so it doesn't look like anything has changed in terms of that support.

3. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I have one of the first Clarion iPod controllers and it works with my 5G as well as my iPhone and my buddies touch. You shouldnt have much trouble with yours.

4. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

great thanks for the replies.
    I guess I need to put my 80gig 5g up for sale if i get a new 160g classic :)
    anyone know what the going rate to sell at?
    btw I wont believe you if you say anything less than £99 :)

5. bestthereis27 macrumors member

I have the Avic-D3 and have the 80GB Classic. Works great. 160 shouldn't be a problem. I had the 60GB ipod Video Gen5 with my D3 before, the classic is the same. Speed searching through the D3 is the same. It isn't faster.

6. johny5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

johny5

Ok I got a classic but the video doesn't work on my Avic headunit.
    When I go into video mode on the avic, the ipod simply says on screen, attach a video device.

So I am taking it that video doesn't work with the avic-d3.