Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Here's my situation:

160gb iPod classic has been collecting dust for over a year (maybe two?) now. It was acting very strangely, began skipping over songs and would not restore (error 1492).

However, iTunes still recognizes it and so far it's syncing my music well. I bought a new computer so i've done the 'erase and sync' function. My library is quite large at almost 20,000 songs so I will be syncing it in chunks.

I've done the diagnostic test on the iPod itself and it shows over 2,000 reallocs on the hard drive which means it's obviously beginning to fail, but it's still somehow clinging to life. I haven't tried to use Disk Utility on it yet but I do recall it failed the last time I tried, whenever that was.

My question is: I finally have enough money to get a new classic, should I just buy a new one or see if this one will revive itself? Will the battery be totally dead by now? I can't even remember when I got it but it's probably about 4 years old by now.

Thanks for any suggestions.. i've had terrible luck with these things in the past but I need the capacity. Do you think it's worth it to give this one another go?

TheRat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
it synced fine until the iPod was half full then slowed to a craaaaawwl. maybe it is time for a new one :\, anyone have any input?

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
At that age after being sitting around collecting dust I would definitely get a new classic. No sense in dealing with the hassle. See if you can get rid of it on ebay or something, or at least recycle it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.