iPod Classic Discontinued

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
I'm disappointed.

I use my classic all the time thanks to the large amount of local storage and it saves on my phones battery life when I'm listening at home (away from a wall socket obviously) or travelling long distances.

I wouldn't mind so much except the alternatives aren't as good for what I like the Classic for.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Should we go out and buy one before the stock runs out and sell at a profit later?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Should we go out and buy one before the stock runs out and sell at a profit later?
I would be surprised, if that would be a viable alternative to making a little extra coin, what with there being tens of millions of iPods out there.

Instead I'd by a couple of shares of Apple stock. More likely to see a return on that investment instead.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I would be surprised, if that would be a viable alternative to making a little extra coin, what with there being tens of millions of iPods out there.

Instead I'd by a couple of shares of Apple stock. More likely to see a return on that investment instead.
Amazon currently sells older version of the Classic for a 80$ profit.

Currently have AAPL stock waiting for the stock price to double or triple.

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
I think I will be getting two classics tommorow one for me and one sealed to keep for future profits ;)

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
Sad day, indeed. You knew it was old and on it's last legs. But to actually realize it will be gone for good is a sad thing. Pandora, Spotify and Beats had a big hand in the Classic's demise. Add Apple's refusal to update it and it had to go sooner or later. Today was later than thought by many and way too soon for those of us that love them. I guess now we can hope for a 128gb or larger Touch.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
No Classics in the refurb section of course — imagine they're keeping whatever they have as parts for whatever repairs come in.

As far as capacity, there's probably a 128GB Touch in the future but that touchwheel was a really amazing piece of interface design.

The button clicks for volume on iOS are WAY less precise even now, and that slider is fussy to get to.

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I still have a fully working 2007 model but just bought one. A local store has it significantly less than Amazon so I couldn't resist. The store only had 32 and 4 were sold while I sat here debating. I figure they will be gone in a day or two.

Amazing device. Sad to see Apple kill it off.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Amazon currently sells older version of the Classic for a 80$ profit.

Currently have AAPL stock waiting for the stock price to double or triple.
Your LINK provides asking prices. Where are the closed, selling prices?

I can ask $150. for a one hundred dollar bill on AMAZON. It is what the item sells for that counts.
(On a side note: That's a Canadian seller so take into account the difference in the dollar and also the shipping cost from Canada to the U.S. and even then his profit is not $80. even if it sells…)

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Your LINK provides asking prices. Where are the closed, selling prices?

I can ask $150. for a one hundred dollar bill on AMAZON. It is what the item sells for that counts.
(On a side note: That's a Canadian seller so take into account the difference in the dollar and also the shipping cost from Canada to the U.S. and even then his profit is not $80. even if it sells…)
No that is Amazon Canada's regular crazy price. Other major Canadian retailers sell them for $229-$279 depending on sales. Amazon US doesn't seem much betters vs other US retailers. Two Canadian stores have it for $229 now compared to the Amazon.ca price, it's almost a steal.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Sad day. Was truly one of Apple's best devices. Glad I own 2 that still work great. Will use them for as long as I can.