Ipod classic dock

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Tweak3D, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Tweak3D macrumors regular

So which dock can I get that is not the apple dock with the remote that will work with my insert for an ipod classic. I am confused, because they give me the insert with the ipod, which would mean there is a dock that can use it, but the only apple dock I see the that stupid $50 one. Is there anything else that will work since I do not need the extra functionality. thanks.

2. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

If you are looking for a dock just to use for syncing with iTunes, then pretty much any dock will work, however, if you are looking to use the dock for video output, you'll have to get the current dock on the Apple Store site, plus the AV out cable for the Classic.

3. Tweak3D thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, I am just looking for syncing, something like the dock that comes with the iphone or the old ipods before they quit giving them to you.

Does apple still offer a factory dock without the A/V plugs? if not which older docks would still work with the 160GB classic?

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm using the dock that came with my old 60GB photo for my 160GB classic. It doesn't use the insert and the aperture is too big to support the classic properly but it does the job. :)

5. Tweak3D thread starter macrumors regular

anyone else got any input? thanks for both of your guys help

6. donmei macrumors regular

Any doc will work if all you want is audio. I'm currently using my dock and firewire power cable from my 3g ipod to hold and charge my Ipod Touch.

If you want video, then Griffin Technology's $30 airdock works great. And it includes the audio / video cable. (Apple wacks you $40 for just the cable)

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airdock

This may be discontinued, but I'm sure you can find it on line. Oh yeah, and the griffin comes with a remote too.

Don