Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreenStripe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
I just got a new ipod classic (and preordered an ipod shuffle for the gym :p) and was wondering if hte back will get all scratched up

thanks

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If it's shiny metal. Yes, it will always get scratched up, unless it's in a case all the time.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You can not set the iPod on anything - that will prevent it from getting scratched.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Yes, almost every iPod made with a chrome back gets scratched easily, but when I had my iPad for two month it was naked with no case for one month with not a single scratch on it.

Alvesang

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Germany
The iPod classic in a new unibody design with 256 GB SSD or flash would be a dream come true for me. I love all the shuffles, nanos and touches in the world, but the very limited capacities make me sync my non iPod classic devices far too often.

Well, there's always another September to look forward to.

I keep my classic in a crystal case. It still looks like new, I don't have to worry about scratches on the back and it doesn't get that much bigger.

roketjack

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
iPod Classic

Well, there's always another September to look forward to.

I don't think so, Remember how Steve said "Updating every iPod this year, and how the classic wasn't even mentioned? I think Apple after this holiday season will discontinue it in preparation to make the touch the main iPod.

It's depressing and annoys me, since I wanted a new Classic, and Apple have disregarded users who don't care for Apps and want a massive space to keep music and videos.

Alvesang

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Germany
I don't think so, Remember how Steve said "Updating every iPod this year, and how the classic wasn't even mentioned? I think Apple after this holiday season will discontinue it in preparation to make the touch the main iPod.

It's depressing and annoys me, since I wanted a new Classic, and Apple have disregarded users who don't care for Apps and want a massive space to keep music and videos.

Yes, after Mr. Jobs "every iPod" comment I was REALLY looking forward to a classic update and was disappointed when there was not even a tiny footnote about my most beloved device. Regardless, my hope for an improved version is unbroken. Maybe I'm some sort of weird optimist here.

My guesses are, that SSD is still too expensive for an iPod and too much flash memory drains the battery too quickly. With HDD players being outdated by now, I see why there was no new version in the making. But since SDXC cards with up to 2 TB capacity were announced, I am still eagerly looking forward to an iPod solution with storage for my entire iTunes library.

Maybe it ain't realistic, because the majority of users might have their song of the week and don't care about enjoying the great albums of past and present. But still, dreams can come true... ;)

thejanssens

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
UK
I just got a new ipod classic (and preordered an ipod shuffle for the gym :p) and was wondering if hte back will get all scratched up

thanks

Yes, the classic will scratch like nothing you have ever known before (except other iPods of course). May I recommend best skins ever, I have had one on my Touch since the Christmas when the 1st gen was out - and I love it. Great protection and no extra bulk.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Get a Best Skin Ever or InvisibleShield [BSE is cheaper and is the same material] and immediately put it on the back if you don't want it all scratched up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.