iPod Classic full, iTunes still growing, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mcdonap, Jul 10, 2011.

1. mcdonap macrumors member

I've tried to search for the answer, but I just couldn't find it. I apologize if this has been addressed before.

I have a very large music collection, and I'd like to load it into iPod Classics. I've been slowly downloading my cd's into iTunes in lossless format. I have also moved the library to a large external drive. (This is another issue - it's slow!) At any rate, my 160GB is now full. I have another classic to load more onto, but I know it's not as easy as just starting with a new one. I basically just want to keep my current iPod as is, and start loading the rest of my music onto the next iPod...and the next...etc.

Do you have any suggestions for the best/easiest way to do this?

Thanks for any help!

2. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

How many iPod Classics do you expect to eventually own?

You could create playlists. iPod 1, iPod 2...and make each playlist 120GB in size, then sync the playlists to the appropriate iPod.

Or, you could upgrade the hard drive in your existing iPod.

Or, you could sell the iPod classics and buy an iPod touch and stream your entire library when iTunes Match arrives this fall. $25/year, much cheaper than buying iPod classics.

3. mcdonap thread starter macrumors member

Well, I have another 160GB classic ready to go. I figured one to two more after that.

I'll have to read more about iTunes Match - I'm not against the streaming idea, but a lot - maybe half - of my music isn't available in iTunes.

I'll also have to look into upgrading the drive.

Thanks for the input/ideas!

4. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

If half of your music is unavailable in iTunes, that would mean a lot of uploading. Are you sure it's not available, or just guessing? I'm sure you know better than me, just wondering. It's just that iTunes Match looks like a pretty awesome service, especially for those with a lot of music like you have.

I couldn't find many good 1.8" hard drives for your iPod, so maybe multiple iPods with multiple playlists might work best for now. Best of luck!

5. mcdonap thread starter macrumors member

Much of my collection is not really what you'd call popular. Many imports and things that aren't/weren't big enough sellers to warrant more than one pressing. I was really hoping to get it all on a drive and then iPods so I could store the cd's.

Thanks for looking at the drives - I did too, and I didn't really find any alternatives either.

Thanks for all your help!

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Well you must be putting the files on the iPod in the lossless format because my 27000+ song lossless library fits on my 80gb classic with room to spare converted to low bitrate .m4a. So solution to problem convert to low bit rate for use on iPod and you can have separate libraries in iTunes which is what I use one for my lossless collection another with the low bitrate for syncing with my classic. To access this feature hold down the option key when starting iTunes this lets you create/choose already existing library for use at that start.

7. mcdonap thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for this info - I think creating a new library is exactly what I'm looking for!

8. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Your welcome.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

iTunes Match doesn't stream music. It simply syncs songs you have on your PC/Mac to your iPhone that you purchased outside of iTunes Music Store. So he'll be downloading the songs in full on his iOS device. And if his iOS device is already full, it would be no help.

10. mcdonap thread starter macrumors member

Just wanted to say that this is working out very well. I created a new library, and have been loading onto the new Pod.

This was exactly what I was looking for - thanks MacUser2525!

11. Labaguette macrumors regular

why not just tick the conversion option on the iPod's Overview Tab?

Otherwise there is really NO NEED for a second library. check the second screenshot on how to manage different filetypes in iTunes! (unfortunately all in german, but i guess you can figure out what the idea behind this is...

Attached Files: