ipod classic have a fake metal back???

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TravNav, Feb 13, 2008.

1. TravNav macrumors newbie

I was just 'tapping' the chrome back of my new classic 80gig and I've came to the conclusion that it is plastic that is plated. Now as I remember, all previous Ipods had solid chrome backs-- did apple throw a fast one on us,:eek: making the front brushed aluminum but replacing the solid back w/ plastic?:confused:

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What lead you to such a conclusion? ...My 1st gen Nano sounds like plastic too, but I assure you, it is metal.

...But to be sure, you could take a steak knife to it. ;)

3. TravNav thread starter macrumors newbie

plated plastic can be 2-3ml thick-- and you can engrave into it(w/ a laser cutte). I'm not an expert but I did some 'plating' and many consumer electronics have had plated components on them-- you can plate pretty much anything, its a chemical process. If you tap it, its definately plastic, but im not gonna scratch it to find out!

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

6. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

first the iPhone thread... now this...

my god..

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

exactly my thoughts!

8. Laura123 macrumors newbie

um, that link to ifixit doesn't help

that link to ifixit doesn't answer anything. But i came across a post in a blog entry at ipodjuice (you have to scroll down a bit) but it says that it is hard to remove the backing on the ipod classic! That sux if true. I dont know why apple designed them is such a way! how are we supposed to get the dang batery changed when it dies? What if the lcd needs to be replaced?! What were they thinking>!
    http://www.ipodjuice.com/juice-blog.htm

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

How does tapping prove that it's made of metal?
    It's not going to make a resonating ping sound like other plastics, there's too much inside the iPod. I'm pretty sure that if this were true we would have hard about it by now. It doesn't really matter anyway, but tapping the glass of my iPod touch, the back of my iPod video, and a plastic amp pedal all have the same noise.